Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I turned my imac on and the grey screen with the logo

Customer Question
Hello - I turned...

Hello - I turned my imac on and the grey screen with the logo appears but the progress bar seems to be stuck and it will not boot up, or it is very very slow. I was searching for some help!

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried a Force Quit on your frozen iMac (pressing and holding Option, Command, and Escape)?

Not yet. I am on another machine - can you hold while I try it?

Technician's Assistant: Yes, I'm a bot. I make the process of talking to the Mac Expert more efficient and affordable by asking basic questions. Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

That did not work

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Mac
3/24/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Jon, Mac Enthusiast replied 1 month ago
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

What you can do is check the hard drive an make sure there are no errors and then reinstall the OS as usually, that will help in this situation. I am going to provide you with the steps below for checking the hard drive and reinstall the OS. While checking the hard drive please let me know of any errors. Let me know if you need help along the way.

Mac RECOVERY MODE 1 - Disk Utility Check HD

You can try to boot into whats called "recovery mode":

1. Restart your mac
  2. immediately hold down COMMAND and R on your keyboard
  3. If done correctly you should get to a main menu
  4. choose "Disk Utility"
  5. On the left side menu, click/choose your primary hard drive which is by default called "Macintosh HD"
  6. Then on the right side menu, choose "first aid"
  7. Wait for the process to finish as it will either let you know the drive has errors or tell you its "ok" (let me know)

Once the checking process is complete, it will show that your drive is ok or it may report back with errors. Please let me know what the error says.

If your drive is ok please proceed by closing out of Disk Utility and back in the main menu choose “reinstall OS”.

Mac RECOVERY MODE 2- Reinstall OS

1. Restart your mac
  4. choose "reinstall OS" - don't worry, this does not erase your files/data it just reinstalls the system files and folders.
  5. follow the onscreen instructions which is basically next, next, next

If you have any questions along the way, please let me know.

If I have helped in any way, please consider rating my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help.

If for some reason you still need help, please do not rate my services in a negative way but instead just let me know what happened or what did not work and I will continue to help you troubleshoot the issue.

Jon
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast