Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have a file document on screen and can't get rid of it.

Customer Question
I have a file...

I have a file document on screen and can't get rid of it. Just get rainbow circle on screen and can't go to any other icons above, like File, Delete, etc

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your Apple device?

Sierra

Technician's Assistant: Did the application come with an uninstaller, either on the installation disc or in the application's folder on your Mac?

I think so, just got new MacBook Pro about 2 months ago

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

File the document came from is listed in file as HD Mac, then User, then documents.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Mac
3/24/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Jon, Mac Enthusiast replied 3 months ago
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

You may not be able to save the document you are in but to help close it, you can try and do a force quit. There is a couple ways to try this. Even though you may get the rainbow circle of death, you can still try and click the apple icon and go to force quit. Then choose the application that is causing the issue in the list and click the force quit button.

If that does not work you can try the keyboard key combination for force quit which is COMMAND + OPTION + ESC. After you do this, see if a little force quit window appears, if so choose the app in the list and click the force quit button.

If that does not work you can try and move your mouse onto the icon of the application in question and hold the control key on the keyboard down while you click the icon. This is like doing a right click on a windows computer. After you do the control-click on the icon choose "force quit" and choose the application in question and click the force quit option.

If all else fails, you can hold down the power button for about 30 sec and then let go and wait 30 sec while off and power back on after.

If you have any questions along the way, please let me know.

If I have helped in any way, please consider rating my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help.

If for some reason you still need help, please do not rate my services in a negative way but instead just let me know what happened or what did not work and I will continue to help you troubleshoot the issue.