Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have 3 ipads. Two of them purchased at the same time in…

Customer Question
I have 3 ipads...

I have 3 ipads. Two of them purchased at the same time in the Murray Store. One of them will not keep a charge. We have to keep it plugged in most of the time to use it. Once off the charger, it looses its charge 2-3 times faster than the other one purchased at the same time. Could it need a new battery?

Technician's Assistant: What kind of Apple device do you have? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

The service seems fine---it just dies fast from 100% charged to 10 percent in a few hours of use.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Apple device? What have you tried so far?

For about a year. We have just put up with the problem but now need a solution.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Mac
3/23/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Eric Ewing, IT Pro replied 3 months ago
Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing, IT Pro

Hi! I'm Eric, a Mac expert who's been paired with you through JustAnswer.com. I'm reviewing your question now, and will return w/ an answer soon!

Hello! It could well be a faulty battery, or could be an application that is running and eating up the power. Honestly, though, the battery is the most likely issue.

The best way to have a complete and accurate status report of your battery is to contact Apple and have them run a diagnostic directly on your device. You can do so by making an appointment at an Apple Store, or by getting in touch with Apple’s online Support.

With your agreement, they will be able to remotely run a diagnostic on the device and have a clear picture of the battery status. This is probably the best way to know what is going with your battery if you’re having issues.

If that comes back "clear," it may be worth investigating the possibility of an app causing the problem. You'd first just want to note which apps are installed on the problematic device that aren't installed on your other 2 iPads, and then it becomes a process of elimination...uninstall one app and see if your battery life improves, and then move on to the next app if that doesn't resolve the problem. This can be very time-consuming (as you might imagine) and is relatively rare, so definitely investigate the battery issues first...particularly if your devices have reached 2 years of age or older.