Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

My Mac installed the new iOS system last night. I suspect my…

Customer Question
My Mac installed the...

My Mac installed the new iOS system last night. I suspect my husband shut it down wrong and it is opening under the wrong name and my system password *****’t work. I have a clue to the password ***** no combnation works. I can’t get past this screen and am locked out.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?

Last night

Technician's Assistant: Did you try resetting through Apple's online account reset tool?

I can’t get past the screen that asks for the system password

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

How do I get into my computer. I am locked out. Tried restarting and it comes back to this screen. Someone did not his the correct sign out to shut it off and it requires the system password ***** progress further.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Mac
3/23/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Jon, Mac Enthusiast replied 3 months ago
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

If you are referring to the local mac user profile account username and password ***** reseting your apple id password ***** not help because the local mac user profile account username and password ***** not be reset like that. Therefore, there are some things to try to bypass this password ***** it may look overwhelming but please try one option at a time as usually one of them fixes your issue. Go slow and ask questions along the way if needed. Here are your options:

Option #1- Single user mode

1. restart computer and hold the Command key (or the apple key for older keyboards) and the "S" key.

2. wait for terminal to show - this will look like a bunch of white text

3. you can release the keys you did in step 2 once you see the white text appear.

4. when the white text stops loading, type /sbin/mount -uaw

5. press enter

6. type rm /var/db/.applesetupdone

7. press enter

8. type reboot

9. press enter

This will let you create a new admin account when you reboot your computer. If this happens, don’t worry if you don’t see your normal desktop and files. Remember, you created a new admin user account so you will now need to do the following:

1. Click the apple

2. Click System Preferences

3. Users and Groups

4. Choose your old user account on the left side menu

5. Click the “change password” button on the right side menu.

Now you can sign out of your new admin account you had created temporarily and choose to sign into your old original user account and use the new password ***** have just created.

Option #2: Similar to option 1 but a little different

1. restart computer and hold the Command key (or the apple key for older keyboards) and the "s" key.

2. when the white text stops loading, enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

shutdown -h now

After rebooting you should have a brand new admin account. When you login as the new admin don’t worry if you don’t see your normal desktop and files. Remember, you created a new admin user account so you will now need to do the following:

1. Click the apple

2. Click System Preferences

3. Users and Groups

Option #3

1. Turn off your Mac (choose Apple > Shut Down).
  2. Press the power button while holding down Command and R. The Mac will boot into Recovery mode. When you see the load bar appear you can let go of the keys. It may take a few minutes to load.
  3. Choose Utilities > Terminal.
  4. Enter resetpassword (all one word, lowercase letters) and press Return
  5. Select the volume containing the account (normally this will be your Main hard drive).
  6. Choose the account to change with Select the User Account.
  7. Enter a new password ***** re-enter it into the password *****
  8. Enter a new password ***** related to the password.
  9. Click Save.
  10. A warning will appear that the password ***** changed, but not the Keychain Password. Click OK.
  11. Click Apple > Shut Down.

Now start up the Mac. You can login using the new password.

If you have any questions along the way, please let me know.

If I have helped in any way, please consider to rate my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help.

If for some reason you still need help, please do not rate my services in a negative way but instead just let me know what happened or what did not work and I will continue to help you troubleshoot the issue.

Wait, in your original question you said your "Mac" and "iOS" in the same sentence. Is this password ***** on your mac or ipad?

I gave up on you and called and paid With an apple service. Command + R got me in and reset password ***** password ***** Working now. Actually for some time.

OK yes that was in my option #3. Glad your working. Take care.