Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have a Mac Pro that I got at least 10 years ago and it…

Customer Question
I have a Mac...

I have a Mac Pro that I got at least 10 years ago and it came on by itself this morning. the message said it came on due to a problem with the computer. Now it will start up but the

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your Mac Pro?

When it comes up again, I will find out. Thanks

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Mac Pro? What have you tried so far?

It just started this morning when it came on by itself. It worked last night. I got a message that the system had been updated. I just got a message that said my my computer was shut down because of a probelm.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I got a report that said my computer was shut down because of a problem. I did send the report to apple.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Mac
3/22/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Jon, Mac Enthusiast replied 1 month ago
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

So this 10 year old mac turned on with the message regarding that it shutdown while it encountered a problem but do you happen to know what MAC OS it is running or is it still able to power on? What exactly is the issue with this mac? Let me know so I can further assist.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Mac OS Sierra version 10.12.6. The Mac OS was updated automatically which caused my computer to restart but then shutdown. It will load up briefly and then shut down for five times in a row.

OK, then you can try the following which will check your hard drive first for any errors and if all is good proceed with recovery mode #2 below.

Mac RECOVERY MODE 1 - Disk Utility Check HD

You can try to boot into whats called "recovery mode":

1. Restart your mac
  2. immediately hold down command and R on your keyboard
  3. If done correctly you should get to a main menu
  4. choose "Disk Utility"
  5. On the left side menu, click/choose your primary hard drive which is by default called "Macintosh HD"
  6. Then on the right side menu, choose "first aid"
  7. Wait for the process to finish as it will either let you know the drive has errors or tell you its "ok" (let me know)

Once the checking process is complete, it will show that your drive is ok or it may report back with errors. Please let me know what the error says.

If your drive is ok please proceed by closing out of Disk Utility and back in the main menu choose “reinstall OS”.

Mac RECOVERY MODE 2- Reinstall OS

1. Restart your mac
  4. choose "reinstall OS" - don't worry, this does not erase your files/data it just reinstalls the system files and folders.
  5. follow the onscreen instructions which is basically next, next, next

If you have any questions along the way, please let me know.

If I have helped in any way, please consider to rate my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help.

If for some reason you still need help, please do not rate my services in a negative way but instead just let me know what happened or what did not work and I will continue to help you troubleshoot the issue.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did restart it and held the “command” and “R” key and nothing happened.

Did you already do Mac Recovery # 1 regarding the Hard drive? If not please try that next.

If that checks out to be ok, then your other option is to do a very similar thing as Mac recovery mode #2 but the keyboard commands are different as it try's to get the recovery image from the Apple servers online. Please try the following only after yu have checked the hard drive as I explained originally in the instructions titled "Mac Recovery Mode 1".

1. Restart your mac
  2. immediately hold down COMMAND and OPTION and R on your keyboard
Jon
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast