Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I got a call this morning that my computer was hacked and he…

Customer Question
I got a call...

I got a call this morning that my computer was hacked and he could fix it.

Technician's Assistant: What kind of Apple device do you have? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

Mac desktop

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Mac? What have you tried so far?

I told him that I wouldn't pay $450 for a remote fix and a warranty, went to bank and changed account numbers, notified Trans Union about it

Technician's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Ok he had me change my apple id and it doesn't work now

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I have a new icon on my start page that I cannot get rid of and suspect he put it there That's all I can think of now

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/22/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Mr.Med, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 4 months ago
Mr.Med
Mr.Med, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi, I'mCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

I am sorry this has happened to you. This is a popular scam that has been going on. Please DO NOT him or let him have access to your computer anymore, as they are probably installing spyware and other malicious items. Report them to the Internet Crime Bureau here : http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

Report the unauthorized charges, then cancel your card and order a new one. then tun a virus scan using Malwarebytes program, please download from : https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/ the install it.

Note : Please feel free to ignore the offers for Additional Services. They are automatically sent by the website.

Let me know if you need further assistance

Thank you