Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have a MacBook Pro and I am trying to connect my new

Customer Question
Hi -- I have...

Hi -- I have a MacBook Pro and I am trying to connect my new G-Drive from G technology but it says it can't read the drive. Disk Utilities Erase function gives me a "fail" error...I am so frustrated and just want to return the external drive, but thought I would give tech support a shot at trying to get it working

Technician's Assistant: What version of iTunes are you using to sync your MacBook Pro?

I don't use iTunes to sync my MacBook

Technician's Assistant: When did you last reboot?

About 5 minutes ago

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I got the MacBook Pro last year and it doesn't have USB ports, so I have to use a USB adapter...is that the problem? ok

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Mac
3/22/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer replied 3 months ago
Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer

Hello Sir/Madam. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Can I remote onto your Machine and have a look at your problem?

do you think it is because I have to use a USB hub?
i don't want to pay an additional $30 to have you remote in...I have a simple question and I have already been charged $31 and now you are asking me to pay an additional $30. This is ridiculous

If you are using a USB hub, unplug the disk from it and connect directly to the USB port of the Macbook.

As I explained in the BEGINNING, it is a new model MacBook Pro and does not have a USB port!

No problem, just ignore the Remote support offer. We can continue with Q&A mode.

can you please advise? Is the G drive not working because i have to use a USB hub?
  • Check the power cables are well seated in the external drive (applies only to 3.5” external drives), and also the AC socket you are connected to.
  • Do not have the drive connected through a USB hub. Ensure it is connected directly to the computer. Similarly make sure the adapter is connected directly to an AC outlet, and not via an extension cord.
  • If this is a 2.5” external drive, ensure the Y-cable is connected securely to the drive, and if necessary use both USB connectors. This will provide extra power. If you are connecting to a PC, use the USB ports at the back of the PC, and not any ports at the front. Again, do not connect via a USB hub, connect the drive directly.

Do not use USB Hub. Connect the Disk directly to the Mac Book.

ok, since I do NOT have a USB port and can't connect the Disk directly to the MacBook, are there any other options other than returning the G-Drive? Do you know of a specific external storage drive that DOES work with the new Mac Book pro?

What is the model of your disk? Can't you connect it via Firewire cable?

The only ports that come on the new MacBook Pro are the Thunderbolt 3 ports
never mind, I am going to have to get a different cable...thank you for your help

If the drive is compatible with Thunderbolt, the package must have the cable. Package contains

• Hard Drive
• (1) Thunderbolt Cable
• Universal AC Power Supply