Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have a MacBook Pro and I am trying to connect my new

Customer Question
Hi -- I have...

Hi -- I have a MacBook Pro and I am trying to connect my new G-Drive from G technology but it says it can't read the drive. Disk Utilities Erase function gives me a "fail" error...I am so frustrated and just want to return the external drive, but thought I would give tech support a shot at trying to get it working

Technician's Assistant: What version of iTunes are you using to sync your MacBook Pro?

I don't use iTunes to sync my MacBook

Technician's Assistant: When did you last reboot?

About 5 minutes ago

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I got the MacBook Pro last year and it doesn't have USB ports, so I have to use a USB adapter...is that the problem? ok

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Mac
3/22/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer replied 1 month ago
Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer

Hello Sir/Madam. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Can I remote onto your Machine and have a look at your problem?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
do you think it is because I have to use a USB hub?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i don't want to pay an additional $30 to have you remote in...I have a simple question and I have already been charged $31 and now you are asking me to pay an additional $30. This is ridiculous

If you are using a USB hub, unplug the disk from it and connect directly to the USB port of the Macbook.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
As I explained in the BEGINNING, it is a new model MacBook Pro and does not have a USB port!

No problem, just ignore the Remote support offer. We can continue with Q&A mode.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
can you please advise? Is the G drive not working because i have to use a USB hub?
  • Check the power cables are well seated in the external drive (applies only to 3.5” external drives), and also the AC socket you are connected to.
  • Do not have the drive connected through a USB hub. Ensure it is connected directly to the computer. Similarly make sure the adapter is connected directly to an AC outlet, and not via an extension cord.
  • If this is a 2.5” external drive, ensure the Y-cable is connected securely to the drive, and if necessary use both USB connectors. This will provide extra power. If you are connecting to a PC, use the USB ports at the back of the PC, and not any ports at the front. Again, do not connect via a USB hub, connect the drive directly.

Do not use USB Hub. Connect the Disk directly to the Mac Book.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok, since I do NOT have a USB port and can't connect the Disk directly to the MacBook, are there any other options other than returning the G-Drive? Do you know of a specific external storage drive that DOES work with the new Mac Book pro?

What is the model of your disk? Can't you connect it via Firewire cable?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The only ports that come on the new MacBook Pro are the Thunderbolt 3 ports
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
never mind, I am going to have to get a different cable...thank you for your help

If the drive is compatible with Thunderbolt, the package must have the cable. Package contains

• Hard Drive
• (1) Thunderbolt Cable
• Universal AC Power Supply

Jins M. N.
Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer