Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I don't know my admin' name and password I am trying to

Hi I don't know...

Hi I don't know my admin' name and password ***** am trying to install an app from an unidentified developer I need to unlock to give the permision it asks for a admin name and password, but I don't have it configured on my mac

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?

I did that several times

Technician's Assistant: Did you try resetting through Apple's online account reset tool?

Nope

3/22/2018
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Is the account you are using an admin account?

I don't know
but when I log in is the only account that I can select

Open System Preferences > Users & Groups. The name you see there is the admin name and the password ***** ***** one you use to login to your Mac or install apps. Did you try that?

I did, but the only user that is shown is a standard user
the one that I am using

That means you are not admin. What version of macO Sare you using?

high Sierra

We can boot your Mac to a special mode called Single User Mode. Then type some commands/texts there which will force your Mac to bring the new account setup screen. So you can setup a brand new admin account and then use that account to reset the password ***** change the account type of your original account. This might seem a little difficult, but it is actually easy.

Follow the steps below to create a new User Account in Single User Mode.

• Turn off/shut down your Mac.

• Turn it on and immediately hold down the Command(Apple) and S keys together for 10 seconds to boot into Single User Mode

• When you see the text prompt, type in the following terminal commands to create a brand new Administrator account (hitting return after each line). Also, note down the spaces between the commands, like a space between mount and -, space between -uw and / etc

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

shutdown -h now

(If it returns any errors after any command above, then you are entering the commands incorrectly. Make sure you enter it correctly)

When you enter last command and press return, the Mac will shut down. So turn it back on, you should be able to create a brand new Administrator account (when creating the account, if you're asked to transfer information, select Don't transfer) And don't use iCloud in the new account.

Login to new account. Then in new account (which will be blank), go to System Preferences > Users & Groups, select your old account and change/reset the password ***** also change it to admin. Then logout from Apple menu and login to the old account.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problem

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead of rating, please let me know by replying in here and I will stay with you and try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

ok.i will try now
thanks

No problem. let me know

didn't work out

It should. At which step are you on now?

I did everything that you told me
and couldn't do it
you want to connect to my computer?

Those steps can't be done via secure remote. Please ignore secure remote. We need to try those steps again. Remember, if you don't enter the commands correctly, it won't work.

At which step are you getting stuck?

Can you open this question from your phone or tablet? If so, I will walk you through the steps

I entered mount -uw /
then enter
then rm /var/db/ .AppleSetupDone
then enter
shutdown -h now
then the computer shouted down
when I started the Mac ...same user as before

mount<press space>-uw<press space>/<press enter/return>

rm<press space>/var/db/.AppleSetupDone<press enter/return>

shutdown<press space>-h<press space>now<press enter/return>

No space between rm /var/db/ and .AppleSetupDone

I will try it again ,I pressed space before .applesetupdone
see you in a few minutes

Ok

Ashik, Mac Technician
it worked
thanks a lot

You're most welcome!