Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have an I pad. when I go to general then ipad storage

Customer Question
I have an I...

I have an I pad. when I go to general then ipad storage there is a blue line that says media and it is eating most of my memory. when I look at the same on my I phone it is much less

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your iPad?

Ios 11.2.6

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your iPad? What have you tried so far?

Not sure I tried to delete most of the apps on the storage page

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Mac
3/22/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Samuel NetEngineer, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 3 months ago
Samuel NetEngineer
Samuel NetEngineer, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am one of the experts that is going to help you today. Please give me a moment to look over your question so I don't miss anything.

Which generation iPad do you have?

not sure
rather not

Okay, the media could be music, tv shows, videos, gifs, app data, or email attachments

If you delete any of those things, or remove some of your pictures, it should free up quite a bit of space.

Let me know if this works for you!

it has separate colors for mail , apps, photos, messages and books
this just says media

Media could be music, tv shows, videos, gifs, app data, or email attachments

To clear some App Data, try this:

Data stored by other apps can be cleaned out using the Usage option in settings. Follow these steps:

1. Tap Settings > General > Storage & iCloud Usage.
  2. In the top section (Storage), tap Manage Storage.
  3. Select an app that's taking up a lot of space.
  4. Take a look at the entry for Documents & Data. If this is taking up more than 500MB, it's worth deleting and reinstalling the app to clear the space.
  5. Tap Delete App, then head to the App Store to re-download it. This will be a clean install without all the data and documents.
mine only says I pad storage. no manager
I deleted most of the apps, but the bar at the top still has media as taking the most storage

Delete movies and TV shows in Settings

1. Go to Settings > General > iPad Storage.
  2. Scroll to TV or Videos, then tap it.
  3. Tap Review iTunes Videos. If you don't see Review iTunes Videos, you don't have anything downloaded to your device.
  4. Find the movie, show, or episode that you want to delete, then swipe left on it.
  5. Tap Delete.
there is only one movie and it is only 5gb the blue media line in the storage are is taking most f the memory

5gb is a very large file for a iPad.

How much storage is on your iPad?

64gb

Can you store that movie on a different device?

We can also go through and clear some other areas.

the movie is not the issue. it is the blue line that says media.

Yes, movies are included in media

on the measure bar tv is a differnent color and sets it by it self on the storage bar

When you bare in iPad Storage, there should be a breakdown of items and their storage use underneath the bars

the one that is in light blue says media but it does not show below

I'll opt out and open the question up for another expert.

Thanks
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 3 months ago
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Media includes everything that is pictures, videos, music, attachments etc. Remember, the Photos, TV etc sections show the contents of the official iPad apps and may not show about the content of other apps like WhatsApp, Facebook etc, so the Media includes the data i.e pictures, movies etc of installed apps. It may also include attachments which is stored in different location.

If you regularly send and receive attachments whether email or iMessage, then it will take a lot of space and these contents will not show in the Photos, Videos etc section.

So check the Messages section as well. If you send and receive iMessages with attachments, then the Messages will take a lot of space. So open Messages and delete all unwanted conversation/threads. Also, delete the attachments from the messages that you no longer need. See this article ---> http://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/01/26/how-to-bulk-delete-attachments-from-the-ios-messages-app/

Also, open Photos, tap Recently Deleted album and tap Delete from there as well. If you use iCloud and store photos there, then open Settings > your name > iCloud > Photos and enable Optimize iPad Storage there.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problem

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead of rating, please let me know by replying in here and I will stay with you and try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

Tried all. The blue line on the storage bar says media. That is taking the storage. I have deleted most app and it does not change. I went into iCloud and it is on.

Did you delete all messages/attachments from Messages app?

If you deleted all attachments that you no longer need, then reset your iPad and see if it works or not. Press and hold down the Power button and Home button at the same time until it shows the Apple logo. When you see the Apple logo, release the buttons and let it boot. Only reset if you know the passcode to unlock the screen of your device.

Note : Power button is the button you use to turn off your iPad or its screen. Home button is the round button at the front bottom.

Let me try that. I do not use messaging on the iPad

Delete all messages from Messages app. Then do the reset and please let me know

Hi there, Just checking. Is there any change after the restart?

Nope

Could you please give me the names of the installed apps?