Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

My computer failed to install recent updates Mac OS and now…

My computer failed to...

My computer failed to install recent updates Mac OS and now won’t boot up

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried a PRAM reset on your Mac (rebooting and holding down Command, Option, P, and R)? Or rebooting in Recovery Mode (holding down Command and R)?

Will try

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

Not yet

3/22/2018
Richard, Apple Software Engineer

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

What exactly happens when you try to start the mac?

Please let me know

Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It doesn’t load all of the way, looks like 75%, then freezes. Message comes up that states macOS could not be loaded on your computer. Tried diagnostics which showed ADP000 and said it detected no problem.

Shut down your Mac.

Find Command (⌘), Option, P, and R on your keyboard.

Turn on your Mac.

Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.

Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.

Release the keys.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We’ve been holding and no second sound. Message reappears and says quit the installer to restart your computer and try again.

and when it restarts after doing this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there some way to quit the installer? Have been forcing a shut down: Command/control/option/power
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It tried to restart, but no sound, and just hung up again

Power off the mac

Then start the Mac and hold down the Command and R keys at startup.

Hold these keys until the Apple logo appears. After your computer finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and an OS X Utilities window

choose Disk Utility from the Utilities window, or from the Installer menu if you're started from an installation disc.

Click the First Aid tab.

Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

Select your Startup Disk (usually named "Macintosh HD").

Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

Let this complete and when it has, tell me if you still have the problem please.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am not seeing a Repair option when choosing Macintosh HD

You need to click first on First Aid at the top of the screen please

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Got it. Running first aid now.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do I close out of disk utility and powe off/on again?

yes and see if it now starts.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Still locked up at same spot.

power it off.

Then hold the left shift key and with it held, power it on and keep shift held until it gets to the sign in screen

Can it get to this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. It comes back to the Apple logo showing “loading line” which stops at 75% then sits there.

Ok, how long did you give it to complete the load following the repair?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
A few minutes.

ok, give it 10 it can take that long the first time

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sign in just appeared. Should I go ahead and sign in?

yes

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Signed in. Message appeared, Network Connection: could not find the PPP kernel extension. Should I just click OK?

please do

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Home screen is up! Seems to be OK. OS version 10.13.3. Is that current? It was trying to update the OS when this all happened.

yes it is, it is up to date

I wish to now check it please

Click this link

download.teamviewer.com/download/TeamViewerQS.dmg

A program will start downloading to your computer (it does not open a webpage, but the file will start downloading to your computer).

Run the program and it shows you and ID and Password.

Give me the ID and Password ***** please so I can connect

Do not close the program but leave it open else I will not be able to connect

Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is this MacBook SMC firmware update? If so, it will not run on this computer.

No reason why it would not run.... why do you say that?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Because when I try to run it, that’s the message I get. This is a MacBook Pro Retina.

The program will run fine on your mac, no reason why not.

What was the exact wording of the message?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This version of the MacBook EFI Firmware Update is for use with specific computer models only and will not run on this computer. Run Software Update to check for any firmware updates for this computer.I’m not sure if this is the program from your “link”. When I clicked on the link it brought up a screen asking to open in Dropbox, which I ignored.

Thats not my program.. mine is the one called Teamviewer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Got it.
Your ID: 749 283 517
PASSWORD: 7183

ok, now restart the mac and tell me if it is now ok

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Getting another error.
MacOS could not be installed on your computer.
The path /System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall. Mpkg appears to be missing or damaged. Quit the installer to restart your computer and try again.I did try clicking the Restart, but got the same message.

It will not get past this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. Tried twice.

Restart it again and tell me what happens please

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Apple logo appears with “sound”. Loading bar hangs up about 50% of completion, then loading bar restarts and completes but then the error message appears.

ok, try to run the disk utility repair again please

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK. Home screen is up.

ok, how is it now performing

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m going to power off and restart.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Started ok, slow, but started.

ok, try a few times to restart please

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Better.

perfect

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for getting me through this! You are very patient. Have a great day.

My pleasure, if you want a quick review of me via the top review would be appreciated.

Richard, Apple Software Engineer