Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

My Mac not accepting the password I usually use to login.

Customer Question
My Mac not accepting...

My Mac not accepting the password ***** usually use to login. What now?

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?

Don't recall, long time. Apple ID maybe never.

Technician's Assistant: Did you try resetting through Apple's online account reset tool?

Can't login to use the Mac to do that

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I've verified the Apple ID so far, can't find a way to get password ***** Perhaps need to reset password?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Mac
3/22/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Jon, Mac Enthusiast replied 1 month ago
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

Just to confirm because depending on what your answer is, will determine different instructions. The question is, when you say the mac is not accepting the password, is it the very first log in screen you once you power on the mac? Or is this when you are already signed into your mac but your trying to sign into icloud or use your apple id and password ***** in itunes?

Please let me know. Thanks for your time.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The initial login when I power up is where I'm stuck. Oddly, I can browse as a guest user, but not being recognized by my own MBP with the same password ***** has worked since I bought it. I have now verified my APPLE ID, & reset the password ***** with that, which the MBP also doesn't accept. When I try getting into gmail, I click on the button after entering my email address, then nothing happens, but I can get onto cbsnews.com. This has me scratching my head.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When lodgon was not successful, I force-closed to get to recovery mode, but neither of the password's tried has worked. Then I had some success going in as a guest, but still unable to get into gmail from guest.

Ok thanks for clarifying. Yes, guest will work no matter what as there is no password ***** with that account. So therefore in order for you to bypass the password ***** your other original macbook user account, it's going to look overwhelming, but just try one option at a time as one of them should work. It's not easy since that would defeat the point of a password ***** let me know if you have any questions along the way.

Option #1- Single user mode

1. restart computer and hold the Command key (or the apple key for older keyboards) and the "S" key.

2. wait for terminal to show - this will look like a bunch of white text

3. you can release the keys you did in step 2 once you see the white text appear.

4. when the white text stops loading, type /sbin/mount -uaw

5. press enter

6. type rm /var/db/.applesetupdone

7. press enter

8. type reboot

9. press enter

This will let you create a new admin account when you reboot your computer. If this happens, don’t worry if you don’t see your normal desktop and files. Remember, you created a new admin user account so you will now need to do the following:

1. Click the apple

2. Click System Preferences

3. Users and Groups

4. Choose your old user account on the left side menu

5. Click the “change password” button on the right side menu.

Now you can sign out of your new admin account you had created temporarily and choose to sign into your old original user account and use the new password ***** have just created.

Option #2:

1. restart computer and hold the Command key (or the apple key for older keyboards) and the "s" key.

2. when the white text stops loading, enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

shutdown -h now

4. After rebooting you should have a brand new admin account. When you login as the new admin you can simply delete the old one and you’re good to go again!

Option #3

1. Turn off your Mac (choose Apple > Shut Down).
  2. Press the power button while holding down Command-R. The Mac will boot into Recovery mode. When you see the load bar appear you can let go of the keys. It may take a few minutes to load.
  3. Choose Utilities > Terminal.
  4. Enter resetpassword (all one word, lowercase letters) and press Return
  5. Select the volume containing the account (normally this will be your Main hard drive).
  6. Choose the account to change with Select the User Account.
  7. Enter a new password ***** re-enter it into the password *****
  8. Enter a new password ***** related to the password.
  9. Click Save.
  10. A warning will appear that the password ***** changed, but not the Keychain Password. Click OK.
  11. Click Apple > Shut Down.

Now start up the Mac. You can login using the new password.

If you have any questions along the way, please let me know.

If I have helped in any way, please consider to rate my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help.

If for some reason you still need help, please do not rate my services in a negative way but instead just let me know what happened or what did not work and I will continue to help you troubleshoot the issue.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
logon
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will need to try again later, need to go see a patient for next few hours. When I tried option1, I got a momentary screen I couldn't even read before it was replaced by the Apple screen, then the login page with my account & guest user. If that changes the advice, please let me know, I'll check back once I'm able to try later tonight. Thanks.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Got those screens while holding down control & s keys.

If you are not able to get into single user mode at all with command and S then something else may be wrong. You can then try option one and if that doesn't work let me know. But make sure that when attempting to boot into single user mode or any mode for that matter make sure your holding down the Command and S keys right away after the mac reboots.

Let me know what happens after your patient no problem.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Tried all 3, no luck.How much extra to have you connect securely to my device and have a try to resolve the issue?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Found my answer, $39 extra. If you can't resolve the issue, do I get refund on everything? On a very tight budget, but need the MBP to do my job away from my office.

Its hard to figure out what happened without much feedback from what happened or didn't happen with each of the options you tried. The answer to your question regarding a refund is that yes if you are not fully satisfied with our answer you can request a refund. However, I would like to opt out of this question so that we can see if another expert may be able to provide you more things to try.

Mac Support Specialist: Dustin, Mac Support Specialist replied 1 month ago
Dustin, Mac Support Specialist

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

Did you still need help with this issue or not?

I'll be waiting for your reply, thank you.

Dustin S.
Senior Technician and Former 31F1P ( Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer)

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Still unable to log on, was unable to try the options Jon gave me because I can get to the screen needed. I'm ending up at my usual login screen, after another screen flashes by for a split-second, even when I force recovery mode I don't get a screen where I can I put commands to resolve the issue.
I've already confirmed my AppleID, & have reset the password ***** that at least twice, apparently successfully using my phone. The password ***** for login to my MBP remains what it has always been, but neither that password ***** the others I've tried are being recognized.
I'm able to enter as a guest user only so far, and able to connect online that way, but it takes more time & is getting frustrating. Willing to try other suggestions if you have any ideas.
Mac Support Specialist: Dustin, Mac Support Specialist replied 30 days ago

To be clear, you cant boot into command R < recovery mode, and get to the terminal to reset the password?

Where do you get stuck at ?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I can get to recovery mode using command+r. Once there not sure which option to proceed with.What I've been unable to do is get into single-user mode, using command+s, as Jon instructed. Each time I try getting to single-user, I end up with my usual screen for login, with the Sierra background and options for my account & guest user. I can get online with guest user, but can't access my gmail from that. My password ***** on the login screen has not changed, even though I've changed passwords twice now, and none of the 3 passwords (original or either new one) is being recognized.I've verified my AppleID, and have reset password ***** in the last few days, which were apparently successful, but those new passwords are not being recognized when I attempt to login to my account. When I try to use my AppleID, I get a message in red that says "Couldn't sign in because of a server error. Try signing in again." Have tried this with all 3 passwords, same result. All using the gmail account that I know is correct, as the AppleID.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I can get to recovery mode using command+r. That takes me to a MacOS Utilities screen. Once there, not sure which option to proceed with.What I've been unable to do is get into single-user mode, using command+s, as Jon instructed. Each time I try getting to single-user, I end up with my usual screen for login, with the Sierra background and options for my account & guest user. I can get online with guest user, but can't access my gmail from that. My password ***** on the login screen has not changed, even though I've changed passwords twice now, and none of the 3 passwords (original or either new one) is being recognized.I've verified my AppleID, and have reset password ***** in the last few days, which were apparently successful, but those new passwords are not being recognized when I attempt to login to my account. When I try to use my AppleID, I get a message in red that says "Couldn't sign in because of a server error. Try signing in again." Have tried this with all 3 passwords, same result. All using the gmail account that I know is correct, as the AppleID.
Mac Support Specialist: Dustin, Mac Support Specialist replied 29 days ago

If you can access command r, then you need to go into utilities, terminal, and follow these steps.

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac/forgotten-mac-password-3594395/

Let me know if you run into any issues resetting your password ***** those steps.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
May have stumbled across at least partial reason for issue, my SSD is full. Ran first aid with disk utility, no problem found. I didn't find 'terminal' anywhere on the page, so couldn't try your advice.
Mac Support Specialist: Dustin, Mac Support Specialist replied 28 days ago

This guide, will show you steps with pictures of how to use the recover partition, and terminal, to reset the password.

try following this and let me know where you get stuck

https://www.hongkiat.com/blog/reset-osx-user-account-password/

Dustin, Mac Support Specialist