Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have touch ID on my IPad so when I turn it on I have to…

I have touch ID...

I have touch ID on my IPad so when I turn it on I have to put my finger on the start button for my fingerprint. I also have a passcode. Every once in a while I have to put my passcode in before using the touch ID. However, this morning when it asked for my passcode and I entered it, it was not accepted. Thinking maybe I had made a typo I tried again. To make a long story short after trying several times, my IPad was disabled. I left the house for several hours and when I returned I turned the device off altogether for about 15 minutes. Now every time I turn it on the apple appears and I get message that it has been disabled. I have never had a problem like this before, but I did change my internet service to Hughes.net last Friday. The IPad worked fine on Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. But not today.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?

Never changed it since I started the touch ID

Technician's Assistant: Did you try resetting through Apple's online account reset tool?

No because I didn't know something like that even existed. I just did a search for IPad tech help

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I don't think so. I am at my desktop now and I have the Ipad here also.

3/21/2018
John T. F., Apple Consultant

Hello! I will work to provide accurate advice and info. Give me a minute to read your submission.

If Phone/Remote Services are offered, ignore them

Ok, once the iPad has been disabled due to entering the passcode incorrectly too many times it must be reset and restored.

The following procedure is a special device firmware update mode. It will erase your Apple device, remove the passcode, and then re-sync user data once it is done (provided you have a backup of some kind).

1) Make sure you have downloaded and installed the latest version of iTunes on your computer before attempting this:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

(Mac users can run System Preferences > “App Store” ( or Software Update for older OS X releases) > "Check now" to get the latest version for their system in most cases.)

2) Open iTunes on your computer and connect the Apple device directly to it (using the charging cable that came with it from Apple)

3) Turn off the Apple device (press the sleep/wake button on the top until you see the red slider and slide the red slider across to the right OR until the device completely shuts off).

4) Hold down the sleep/wake button (on the top) AND the home button (on the front) for 10 seconds

5) Release the sleep/wake button but CONTINUE to hold the home button, until...

6) iTunes should alert you it’s detected a device in recovery mode, click OK and continue along for the restore.

Note: it may ask whether you wish to restore a backup from iTunes or from iCloud. You should use which ever has the latest backup of your personal data.

If it doesn’t work the 1st time, start from the beginning and try again. If iTunes *still* doesn't recognize the device, plug it into a DIFFERENT USB port and try once more.

If you still have concerns, don’t negatively rate my answer, just reply back and let me know. I'll be happy to advise you further. When finished, please give a positive rating so I can be credited for my assistance. You are judging my personal service only (not this website, the price, or your issue) and high ratings assure I remain in good standing.

Thanks and good luck,

First of all, I did NOT enter my password ***** Second, I don't think I have iTunes on my computer. So, can you wait until I go to the app store and add it? And, if you connect to my device, how much more is that going to cost me? I still don't understand what that charge of $5 was for.

You submitted your question to a pay-support site as indicated when you signed up.

Also, I'm not debating whether you did or did not enter your passcode incorrectly. The fact is that the iPad thinks you have - because it's disabled itself. So recovery will be the same either way.

I'll be here, just reply back when you have iTunes installed and need further assistance.

Okay, I have I tunes. What is this backup thing you are talking about? If you haven't already guessed I am technically challenged and don't understand all this tech talk.

Ok, the back up related to your personal information on the iPad. Was it connected with iCloud?

John T. F., Apple Consultant