Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Its A password reset issue..my accounts are slowly

Its A password *****...

Its A password ***** issue..my accounts are slowly converting to an old Apple ID (a hotmail account from 10 years ago and I can’t retrieve the password). The login ID I’ve used for the past 10years is a Gmail account.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?

For the gmail account it’s been at least a year ago

Technician's Assistant: Did you try resetting through Apple's online account reset tool?

Yes but I can’t answer the security questions to the hotmail b/c I haven’t used it over 10years...the apps I’m trying to login in to we’re purchased under the gmail ID

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I’m unable to reset the password ***** a reset with hotmail b/c they’re asking for specific subject lines of the last three e-mails for security clearance...I haven’t used that e-mail in over 10years...no recollection of subject lines!

3/21/2018
John T. F., Apple Consultant

Hello! I will work to provide accurate advice and info. Give me a minute to read your submission.

If Phone/Remote Services are offered, ignore them

What device are you having Apple ID issues with?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
iPad

please do the following for any section of Settings where the incorrect ID is being used. If neither ID is listed, choose the option to sign in with an existing account and use your correct Apple ID and password.

1) Go to Settings > [your user name] > iCloud

If incorrect account is listed, tap “Sign Out” or “Delete Account” and make sure the account is removed.

Sign in with the correct Apple ID by choosing the option to sign in with an existing account.

2) Go to Settings > “Accounts & Passwords” or Mail

Verify correct iCloud email is listed, if you use it.

3) Go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive.

If incorrect account is listed, tap it and choose Sign Out

Sign in with your correct Apple ID by choosing the option to sign in with an existing account.

4) Go to Settings > Facetime

5) Go to Settings > iTunes & App Store

If you have any apps that might have been download using the old ID somehow, you will need to delete them and re-download under your correct one.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Went through everything you suggested & everything is under the gmail act. Tried reloading an app and it initially is under gmail until it’s downloaded and then asks for the Hotmail password. Sends me back to the Apple login reset. I can’t remember reset successfully b/c I don’t know the answers to the security questions (swear I’m answeing them correctly) and I can’t have them send a reset to the Hotmail e-mail b/c I don’t have that account anymore.

At what point are you being asked for the hotmail password ***** exactly what does it say on screen at the time?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
after the app downloads but before it will open. Then it takes me to the Apple store unlock your account.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It specifically asking me to sign into the iTunes store w/the Apple ID for [email protected] All of my apps were downloaded with***@******.***.

That's unusual for it to ask for the password ***** a download. Also, it asks for the password ***** use with the "iTunes Store" and not the App Store?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it’s only on a handful of apps...most of the other apps still work. Unfortunately all my paperwotk for work is on Dropbox & that recently converted itself to Hotmail. Dropbox was definitely purchased w/the gmail ID. I tried downloading Dropbox on my phone & after it downloads it prompts me for the Hotmail login.��

Ok, If you look in the App Store and tap the "Updates" tab, do you see any updates listed and can they all be installed, if so, without asking for the hotmail ID and password?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just tried update all and it came up w/the Hotmail ID...but doing them one at a time I was able to update 2 of the 5...the other 3 went to Hotmail (Amazon, Pinterest, & my bank-which is one of my newer apps, makes no sense).

Ok, delete the three apps you can not update. Then, restart the iPhone, before downloading them once more.

John T. F., Apple Consultant
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OMG! I think you fixed it!!! So far it’s working!! I haven’t done all the apps yet, but so far so good!! Thank you, I’ve been dealing w/this for months. Top ratings for you ��
John T. F., Apple Consultant