Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Just updated MacBook Pro to Sierra and when I turn it on put…

Customer Question
Just updated MacBook Pro...

Just updated MacBook Pro to Sierra and when I turn it on put in my usual password ***** happens. No mouse, no choices. Help I need to do my taxes

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your MacBook Pro?

Turned it off. Typed in password ***** picture comes up with name and nothing. Previous action was to set up cloud chain thing with me.com password. I have a beautiful lavender screen however. Nothing works esc button.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mac
3/22/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Jon, Mac Enthusiast replied 4 months ago
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

Normally after an upgrade your password ***** your macbook will not change but I guess anything is possible. So it sounds like you at first were not given the password ***** to type in your password. Then when you restarted, you were able to type in your password ***** it was still incorrect.

If this is the case the only other easiest thing you can make sure on is to make sure you don't have the caps lock light on your keyboard.

If it is not that and your password ***** ***** working still, you can try and reinstall the OS by putting your mac into recovery mode which does not loose any of your data. Here is how.

1. Restart your mac
  2. immediately hold down command and R on your keyboard
  3. If done correctly you should get to a main menu
  4. choose "reinstall OS" - don't worry, this does not erase your files/data it just reinstalls the system files and folders.
  5. follow the onscreen instructions which is basically next, next, next

If that still does not work then it is for sure a mac password ***** which then it can get pretty intimidating when you see all the options to try and bypass your password ***** get back into your mac. However, go slow and try one option at a time and let me know if you have any questions along the way. Here it is.

Option #1- Single user mode

1. restart computer and hold the Command key (or the apple key for older keyboards) and the "S" key.

2. wait for terminal to show - this will look like a bunch of white text

3. you can release the keys you did in step 2 once you see the white text appear.

4. when the white text stops loading, type /sbin/mount -uaw

5. press enter

6. type rm /var/db/.applesetupdone

7. press enter

8. type reboot

9. press enter

This will let you create a new admin account when you reboot your computer. If this happens, don’t worry if you don’t see your normal desktop and files. Remember, you created a new admin user account so you will now need to do the following:

1. Click the apple

2. Click System Preferences

3. Users and Groups

4. Choose your old user account on the left side menu

5. Click the “change password” button on the right side menu.

Now you can sign out of your new admin account you had created temporarily and choose to sign into your old original user account and use the new password ***** have just created.

Option #2:

1. restart computer and hold the Command key (or the apple key for older keyboards) and the "s" key.

2. when the white text stops loading, enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

shutdown -h now

4. After rebooting you should have a brand new admin account. When you login as the new admin you can simply delete the old one and you’re good to go again!

Option #3

1. Turn off your Mac (choose Apple > Shut Down).
  2. Press the power button while holding down Command-R. The Mac will boot into Recovery mode. When you see the load bar appear you can let go of the keys. It may take a few minutes to load.
  3. Choose Utilities > Terminal.
  4. Enter resetpassword (all one word, lowercase letters) and press Return
  5. Select the volume containing the account (normally this will be your Main hard drive).
  6. Choose the account to change with Select the User Account.
  7. Enter a new password ***** re-enter it into the password *****
  8. Enter a new password ***** related to the password.
  9. Click Save.
  10. A warning will appear that the password ***** changed, but not the Keychain Password. Click OK.
  11. Click Apple > Shut Down.

Now start up the Mac. You can login using the new password.

If you have any questions along the way, please let me know.

If I have helped in any way, please consider to rate my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help.

If for some reason you still need help, please do not rate my services in a negative way but instead just let me know what happened or what did not work and I will continue to help you troubleshoot the issue.