Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Apparently GooglePhotos only supports Android devices or iOS…

Customer Question
Apparently GooglePhotos only supports...

Apparently GooglePhotos only supports Android devices or iOS devices or Web devices. Nowhere on Google support sites are there any answers for Mac OSX computers. AND YET, the photos that appeared on my GooglePhotos are on my Mac OSX iMac - taken from my Mac OSX iMac and are not on my iphone or my ipad iOS devices.

Technician's Assistant: What version of iOS are you running on your Mac? What about your iPad?

Mac OSX 10.11.6

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried with your Mac?

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

What the help forum answer says is exactly what GooglePhotos already says on the site. It says you can select more than one photo (implication is to use the standard Shift-Click method). This works for only the 10 photos on the first page. Repeat for 11-20, repeat for 21-30, then— the trash button stops responding. 30,000 photos to go, minus the 30 in the trash.
So I go to the trash folder/ select all/ delete all; return to the photos page and trash button still not responding. By this point I have spent 18 minutes removing 1 percent of the photos, none of which did I ever select to upload to GooglePhotos—. At this rate, it will take me several months to remove all photos, during which time GooglePhotos may decide on its own to take some photos out of my Pictures folder. (To prevent this, I moved all photos to a differently named folder).
My question on how to easily remove all photos from GooglePhotos remains unanswered.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Mac
3/21/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Samuel NetEngineer, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 2 months ago
Samuel NetEngineer
Samuel NetEngineer, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am one of the experts that is going to help you today. Please give me a moment to look over your question so I don't miss anything.

You want to remove all photos from Google Photos, correct?

Exactly, and with as few steps as possible. GooglePhotos firum offers an answer that would take 5 clicks for every 10 photos and would only allow 30 photos per day to be removed. This is to sell more space for a service that is already not functional.
  1. You can delete photos by opening google photos webpage on laptop, holding shift and selecting the first photos' check mark. Next, select the last photo's check mark, then release shift. This will allow you to select photos in bulk.
  2. Then, hit the trash bin icon in the upper right hand corner. This will move all of your photos to the Trash, where you will need to permanently remove them.

Let me know if this works for you!

No
No no
This does not work. Please read my question before dumping a useless reply into the answer box.
As I explained above: What the help forum answer says is exactly what GooglePhotos already says on the site. It says you can select more than one photo (implication is to use the standard Shift-Click method). This works for only the 10 photos on the first page. Repeat for 11-20, repeat for 21-30, then— the trash button stops responding. 30,000 photos to go, minus the 30 in the trash.

Okay, I'll open this question up for another expert.

The crucial part that Samuel Kresslein’s answer skipped over, when selecting multiple photos to delete on GooglePhotos, is how do you skip to the last of thousands of photos to Shift-Click the last photo, when GooglePhotos only shows you 10 at a time on a page?
Mac Support Specialist: AnswersByEric, Computer Support Specialist replied 2 months ago
AnswersByEric
AnswersByEric, Computer Support Specialist

In order for me to give you an answer here, just tell me, are you using https://photos.google.com on your browser on your Mac?

thank you Eric. I am using the Mac from a Safari browser with photos.google.com because that is where the photos that showed up on my GooglePhotos page are stored. Some of them are also on iCloud which my iOS devices have access to.

Ok, what is confusing to me is you are saying it only shows 10 images per page... Google Photos does not tab/paginate the Photos website(there are no "pages"). It uses what' called never-ending scrolling, which mean you just use your mouse wheel to scroll down to show more images. If you click on the first image, the just scroll down and keep scrolling until you get to the last one, then press shift and click it, it will select all the others. You need to remember that you can only delete up to 1,500 at a time as well. And it goes faster if you only select around 500 at a time.

OK Thank you Eric,
I went from my iphone to my Mac to try again with your information, and found that the photos I tried unsuccessfully to delete yesterday were gone. With the ones remaining, it was easy to follow your directions. So your information and answer are correct today although it doesn’t explain what was going on before.
My reason to delete photos was that Google Mail was not working ( no messages since Feb 17). So I sent a message to my Google Mail account and it bounced back with an Overflow message. Now Mail is working again but a months worth of messages never showed up.
Since you answered the first question clearly, this would count as a second question and an additional $5-$36 charge, but are my mail messages gone forever? And how do I select which photos GooglePhotos decides to upload?

I am more than happy to help with the follow ups, without charging you for an additional question, if you want to add a bonus/tip after you rate my service that is fine with me :)

1. Because your Google account was over the storage limit, you did not receive emails, and unfortunately, you are correct that those emails will not come in--they were never accepted.

2. In the Google Apps photo on your phone, you need to go into the settings and turn off "auto-backup." Or, in the same settings, you can choose to have specific albums auto-backup (you must create the albums first). Then, when you have photos you want backed up you can add them to that album.

AnswersByEric
AnswersByEric