Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Im trying to unlock my iphone but the previous owner forgot…

Customer Question
Im trying to unlock...

Im trying to unlock my iphone but the previous owner forgot their icloud

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?

I cannot remember

Technician's Assistant: Did you try resetting through Apple's online account reset tool?

No

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

Yes . how long does it take to fully reset with the activation lock ?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Mac
3/21/2018
Mac Support Specialist: John T. F., Apple Consultant replied 3 months ago
John T. F., Apple Consultant

Hello! I will work to provide accurate advice and info. Give me a minute to read your submission.

If Phone/Remote Services are offered, ignore them

This is a high security feature and there is no way as an end user to bypass it.

When selling the device, the original owner should have disabled this before giving it to you. You MUST have that password ***** order to proceed OR the original owner must remove it from their iCloud account.

If the previous owner is not present, contact them and ask them to follow these steps to reset their password ***** then remove the device from their account:

======RESET

Your email address is normally used as the username for your Apple ID. You should be able to reset your password ***** a computer using the site:

http://iforgot.apple.com/

1) Enter your Apple ID and click Continue. (If you have forgotten your Apple ID, click the option to “look it up” on that same page and supply the requested info. Then, once you have the ID, return to reset the password ***** needed.)

NOTE: If you are asked to confirm your trusted phone number, or asked for a “Recovery Key”, AND you also have a Mac or an iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch using the SAME Apple ID where you can currently access the home screen, STOP and let me know - otherwise continue.

2) Select the option to reset your password. Choose how to reset your password:

• select "Answer security questions" to answer your stored security questions and then follow the rest of the steps.
  • select "Get an email" to receive an email you can use to reset your password.

3) Once you have the Apple ID and have reset the password, test out that it is working properly by signing into the Apple ID management site: https://appleid.apple.com/

======REMOVE IPHONE

Sign in to iCloud.com with your Apple ID.

1. go to Find My iPhone on the website.
  2. Click All Devices at the top of the screen.
  3. Select the device to be removed from iCloud.
  4. If possible, click Erase [device].
  5. Click Remove from Account.

Next, while still signed in to iCloud.com with your Apple ID.

1 Go to Settings on the website and then look at the My Devices section.

1. In the list of devices, click the one you want to remove
  2. Click the Delete button next to the device. If you don’t see the Delete button, click Remove Device (below the device’s serial or IMEI number).