Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I was trying to increase my capacity and thought I was doing…

Customer Question
Hello. I was...

Hello. I was trying to increase my capacity and thought I was doing so with an Apple purchase. I think the purchase was iCloud. This does not address my space problem wtih my iPhone. I want to cancel my subcription. Please advise what I should do. Thank you.

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your iPhone?

OS?

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your iPhone? What have you tried so far?

The purchase to increase my capacity was 2 months ago.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Mac
3/21/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Eric Ewing, IT Pro replied 1 month ago
Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing, IT Pro

Hi! I'm Eric, a Mac expert who's been paired with you through JustAnswer.com. I'm reviewing your question now, and will return w/ an answer soon!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Great. I am waiting.

Let's start by deactivating your iCloud storage plan since it sounds like it's a feature you're not really making use of, and don't want to continue paying for. After we complete this, we'll take a look at what to do re: the storage on your iPhone.

To downgrade your iCloud storage back to the free 5GB plan:

On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

1. Go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Manage Storage or iCloud Storage. If you're using iOS 10.2 or earlier, go to Settings > iCloud > Storage.
  2. Tap Change Storage Plan.
  3. Tap Downgrade Options and enter your Apple ID password.
  4. Choose a different plan.
  5. Tap Done.

On your Mac

1. Choose Apple () menu > System Preferences, then click iCloud.
  2. Click Manage in the lower-right corner.
  3. Click Change Storage Plan in the upper-right corner.
  4. Click Downgrade Options.
  5. Enter your Apple ID password, then click Manage.
  6. Choose a different plan.
  7. Click Done.

On your Windows PC

1. Open iCloud for Windows.
  2. Click Storage.
  3. Click Change Storage Plan.
  4. Click Downgrade Options.
  6. Choose a different plan.

Click Done.

​​
That will complete the first part of what we need to do! Further directions coming...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can not answer the question cmy interest in an expert being connected to my device since I don't know what the problem is. I want help with what I have and paid and not to increase the amount to solve my problem. I don't understand what is going on.

No problem...you can ignore that automated service offer for remote support.

Now, let's take a look at what's eating up the storage on your iPhone. What we find here will determine how we proceed.

Using your iPhone, go to Settings > General > iPhone Storage. At the very top of that page, you'll see a color-coded bar graph that will indicate the types of data using storage on your iPhone. Please let me know what seems to be using the most storage, and we'll proceed from there!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Don't see a color coded bar graph.

No problem, that just means your iPhone is running a slightly older version of the phone software. Are you seeing a list of apps there instead? If you are, what are the top 3 things on that list and how much space does it say they are using?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Photos - 6.18 GB, Messages-1.7 GB, Mail - 44.1 MB. BTW you are dealing with a grandma.

Well, so far you're doing just fine. If you have any questions during the process, just stop me and let me know. :-)

So, judging by what you've told me, it sounds like you've got an iPhone that's a couple of years old, and has 16GB of storage. Since photos are taking up the most amount of space, we need to find a way to get those off your iPhone while saving them somewhere to keep them safe.

My recommendation would be to create a free account with Google -- who gives you free storage space for photos -- and then install their iPhone app (this will copy any photos you take to Google, and then remove them from your iPhone to free up space). How would you feel about doing that?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have all of my grands photos on my phone. I like your advice as long as I don't lose them.

Trust me, I completely appreciate the importance of making sure your photos are safe. I have thousands of photos of my own little guys, and losing them would be devastating!

Google's service is extremely reliable, and doesn't cost anything -- it's secure and robust enough that we use it at the university I work at, but simple enough for anyone to use. Let's give it a try.

The first thing we'll need to do is to get you setup with a free Google account. Note that Google gives you a lot more with your account than just photo storage, so it might look a little intimidating at first...but don't worry, I'll walk you through it all!

To get starting with creating your new account, please click on this link: https://accounts.google.com/SignUpWithoutGmail?dsh=-6322329154694518990&continue=https%3A%2F%2Faccounts.google.com%2FManageAccount&hl=en#FirstName=&LastName=

Let me know when that's done, and we'll move on to the next step.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay. I created a new Google account.

Great! Now we should create a bookmark or shortcut on your computer that takes you to Google Photos.

First, click on this link: photos.google.com

Once that web page loads, click the Bookmarks menu at the top of your web browser (let me know if you don't see it), and click Add Bookmark. Once the site is bookmarked, it will be easier to return to later when you want to view your photos.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Don't see the word bookmark anywhere.

That's okay. What web browser are you using?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry, what do you mean?

Apologies...the web browser is the program you use on your computer to get on the internet. It may be called Internet Explorer, Edge, Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or something else. Do you know the name of the one you use?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Got it. Google Chrome.

Great! Google Chrome hides most of its menu option inside the three vertically-stacked dots you'll see on the top-right corner of the application window. Click on those dots, hover your mouse over "Bookmarks..." and then click Bookmark this page...

If that doesn't work, no problem...we'll accomplish this another way. :-)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You are so patient. That did not work.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Wait. I found the 3 dots. Let me try and see.

Let's try this: go ahead and minimize your browser Window so that you can see your Windows desktop. Right-click on the empty area of the desktop to see the context menu, click New, and then click Shortcut to open Create Shortcut wizard.

In the Type the location of the item field, type: photos.google.com Click Next button.

Type a name for the shortcut that you’re going to create on desktop. For instance, you could just call it Google Photos.

Finally, click Finish button to create the webpage or website shortcut on your Windows desktop.

Please let me know whether that works!

Great! Either way is fine. Just want to make sure you have a link to get back to Google Photos easily. :-)

Any luck?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am having problem finding the way to minimize to find the New
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Where to I go to minimize? Is it on my email page?

Gotcha! Down at the very bottom of your screen is your taskbar, which should display your Start Menu alongside the icons of your open programs. If you see the Google Chrome icon there, click it...that should minimize the window. Let me know if that works...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me continue.

Great! Let me know when you're ready for next steps.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello Eric,
You did a great job. It just did not work for me. It is not you but me. I will go into the store after our snow storm. Thank you very much. Goodbye.

I'm sorry for the trouble! Please let me know if you change your mind and would like to continue working on this...I'm happy to do everything possible to get this fixed for you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay. Do I now work from my email page to find the icons you want me to minimize?

If you'd like, we could do a remote connection for no extra charge and I could fix this part for you?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay. How do we do that?

I'll ask you to download a free program called "Team Viewer." You can get it by clicking on this link:

Download QuickSupport

If you are asked whether to RUN the file, please do go ahead and do that. Otherwise, you might notice the file download progress bar at the bottom-left corner of your Chrome application window -- if you see that, just click on that once and the program will run automatically once the download finishes. At that point, a new window called Team Viewer should display. When it does, let me know and I'll be asking you for some information from that screen...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It says I am ready to connect. What do I do next.

Good morning! I'm sorry for missing your most recent message last night! Might we be able to setup a time today to reconnect and finish resolving this issue for you?

Mike, Mac Medic