John T. F., Apple Consultant
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

I bought a new iPad for my sister. We had a problem with her

Customer Question

I bought a new iPad for my sister. We had a problem with her email and text when verifying her Apple ID. We couldn’t get the verification code. I used my cell phone to get the code. It seems my phone is now linked to her iPad. We want to change the phone number to her phone.
JA: When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?
Customer: When we set up the iPad a few days ago
JA: Did you try resetting through Apple's online account reset tool?
Customer: No... I didn’t know what to do. I took the iPad into an apple store today hoping they could help me but I was referred to you
JA: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 8 months ago.

Hello! I will work to provide accurate advice and info. Give me a minute to read your submission.

If Phone/Remote Services are offered, ignore them

On the iPad, please do the following for any section of Settings where the incorrect ID (yours) is being used. If neither ID is listed, choose the option to sign in with an existing account and use your sisters correct Apple ID and password. This should then associate the iPad with her account and personal details.

1) Go to Settings > [your user name] > iCloud

If incorrect account is listed, tap “Sign Out” or “Delete Account” and make sure the account is removed.

Sign in with the correct Apple ID by choosing the option to sign in with an existing account.

2) Go to Settings > “Accounts & Passwords” or Mail

Verify correct iCloud email is listed, if you use it.

3) Go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive.

If incorrect account is listed, tap it and choose Sign Out

Sign in with your correct Apple ID by choosing the option to sign in with an existing account.

4) Go to Settings > Facetime

5) Go to Settings > iTunes & App Store

Once you have completed the above then the iOS device should be ready to go.