Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I tried unsuccessfully to load Sierra on my MacBook Air and…

I tried unsuccessfully to...

I tried unsuccessfully to load Sierra on my MacBook Air and now can not use it. All I get when I attempt to restart is a flashing folder with a question mark. Please help!

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your MacBook Air? What have you tried so far?

A couple of days. I just tried going on line and following directions, which included holding down the option, command, P, and R keys for 20 seconds. Did nothing.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

Nothing I can think of. Thanks!

3/20/2018
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

That symbol means the system files are corrupted. You can reinstall your Mac OS. Reinstalling OS won't delete any of your files. It will just replace the corrupted system files with new one and that should fix the problem unless it is hardware related.

Turn off your Mac by holding down the power button for 5-10 seconds. Restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command and R keys at the same time for 15 seconds and this will boot your Mac to the Mac OS Utilities screen. From there, click Reinstall Mac OS. Then follow the instructions to reinstall your Mac OS.

If that didn't work, then restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command, Option and R keys at the same time for 15 seconds and this will boot your Mac to installation screen. Follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead of rating, please let me know by replying in here and I will stay with you and try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

far so good, but it says I have zero room on my hard drive to install it. Can I just skip the installation?
No. I don't want to spend the money. Thanks!

Secure remote is optional. You need to reinstall. Try reinstalling from Command, Option and R

Doesn't seem to be doing anything.

Turn it off completely. Turn it back on and immediately hold down COmmand, Option and R keys for 20 seconds. This will boot into internet recovery, it may take up to 20 minutes to load internet recovery

Okay. Thanks. I just saw where I can go online as well. I appreciate your help. You got me back into my computer and that was the main thing I wanted to do. Thank you very much!

If it is working normally and it booted into desktop, then you don't need to reinstall though. But if you are getting that question mark screen, then you need to reinstall.

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me as Excellent Service or 5 stars and click Submit at the top. Then only I will get credit for helping you and excellent rating help me here.

Best Regards,

Ashik, Mac Technician
Thanks, ***** ***** question mark is gone. :-) I will be happy to provide the rating!

No problem