Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I bought a new Mac Pro 13” and can’t remember which password…

I bought a new...

I bought a new Mac Pro 13” and can’t remember which password ***** used. It has finger recognition but it says you need a password

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?

Within the last month

Technician's Assistant: Did you try resetting through Apple's online account reset tool?

I cannot get into my Mac Pro

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I feel stupid...

3/20/2018
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

Is your computer asking for an apple id password ***** the regular mac computer user account password?

It say “enter password”
I would love for you to just fix it if you can

Please ignore any offers for remote assist as those are automated and not sent by me personally. Don't worry about the remote access, I can't access your mac with the issue you are having anyways.

I have a page with a little lotus blossom so it is probably the account page ?
I am afraid to try a password ***** fear of locking it completely?

Yes don't keep trying thats for sure. Are you able to take a picture of this screen and attach it here. The only reason why I ask is because if its the apple id password ***** have to go to a specific website to reset your password. If its a passcode (4 to 6 digits) its an entire different process.

I can take a picture but I don’t know how to attach it?

There should be a paper clip icon or a "choose" or a "browse" button. Near the area where you are typing these messages to me.

Are you chatting to me on a phone or another computer?

Perfect one second while I review this pic

I am on a phone and there are no icons

This password ***** ***** local mac user account password ***** the apple id password ***** that we now know, so in that case it may get pretty complicated but there is a way around it.

Just tell me what to do...

This is going to look very overwhelming but I am going to give you every option I know in order to try and bypass your mac password. Just go slow and try one option at a time and let me know if you have any questions along the way.

Single user mode option #1

1. restart computer and hold the Command key (or the apple key for older keyboards) and the "S" key.

2. wait for terminal show - this will look like a bunch of white text

3. you can release the keys you did in step 2 once you see the white text appear.

4. when the white text stops loading, type /sbin/mount -uaw

5. press enter

6. type rm /var/db/.applesetupdone

7. press enter

8. type reboot

9. press enter

This will let you create a new admin account when you reboot your computer.

If that does not work you can try option #2

1. restart computer and hold the Command key (or the apple key for older keyboards) and the "s" key.

2. when the white text stops loading, enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

shutdown -h now

4. After rebooting you should have a brand new admin account. When you login as the new admin you can simply delete the old one and you’re good to go again!

One last thing to try

1. Turn off your Mac (choose Apple > Shut Down).
  2. Press the power button while holding down Command-R. The Mac will boot into Recovery mode. When you see the load bar appear you can let go of the keys. It may take a few minutes to load.
  3. Choose Utilities > Terminal.
  4. Enter resetpassword (all one word, lowercase letters) and press Return
  5. Select the volume containing the account (normally this will be your Main hard drive).
  6. Choose the account to change with Select the User Account.
  7. Enter a new password ***** re-enter it into the password *****
  8. Enter a new password ***** related to the password.
  9. Click Save.
  10. A warning will appear that the password ***** changed, but not the Keychain Password. Click OK.
  11. Click Apple > Shut Down.

Now start up the Mac. You can login using the new password.

I don’t know how to turn it off

hold down the power button until it shuts off

There is no obvious power button

Should be in the top right corner but if you have the touchbar you just hold down the Touch ID button found at the rightmost side of the Touch Bar.

The power was the finger if
Fingerprint ID