Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Forgotten the password to my new ipad. I used a slightly…

Customer Question
Forgotten the password *****...

Forgotten the password ***** my new ipad

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?

I used a slightly different password ***** my new ipad, but I haven't changed my Apple ID for some time.

Technician's Assistant: Did you try resetting through Apple's online account reset tool?

No. I can't get into the ipad, so I thought I'd jump online for some support. How do I use the reset tool?

Technician's Assistant: The Mac Technician will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

No, thank you.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mac
3/20/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Jon, Mac Enthusiast replied 4 months ago
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

I am not for sure that you are speaking of an apple id "password" or a "passcode". They sound like similar things but they are different as the passcode is a 4 to 6 digit number. I am assuming its the password ***** need, let me know if its the passcode and I will send you different instructions.

If you feel that you have forgotten your Apple ID password, please go to https://iforgot.apple.com/password/verify/appleid and type in your Apple ID and continue. Apple will then provide you with an option to reset your password ***** by email, security questions, text message, etc.

Then once you have the password ***** you can try and sign into the ipad. If it does not work right away, you can try and restart the ipad and make sure you are connected to wifi.

If you have any questions along the way, please let me know.

If I have helped in any way, please consider to rate my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help.

If for some reason you still need help, please do not rate my services in a negative way but instead just let me know what happened or what did not work and I will continue to help you troubleshoot the issue.

No Jon... as I mentioned to the assistant... it's the password ***** my ipad that I have forgotten.

so its the passcode then correct?

to my ipad

If it is the passcode then the only way to bypass the passcode is to restore the ipad back to factory settings which erases the ipad completely but this has to be done while the ipad is in recovery mode. Here is how:

1. Make sure that you're using the latest version of iTunes.
  2. If iTunes is already open, close it. Connect your device to your computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, borrow one from a friend or family member if needed.
  3. While your device is connected, put it into recovery mode You do this by doing the next step
  4. Press and hold both the Home and the Top (or Side) buttons for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo. This is the most important step. See pic attached.
  5. When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose restore. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS. It may take a while just keep an eye on it as you may need to download the file and open it. Just follow the instructions on the screen and you should be fine. If not let me know
Ok... trying it now.

ok. If you have any questions along the way, please let me know.

Jon - the Restore window in iTunes has closed. The ipad turned on but said it was still disabled & then iTunes said it couldn't connect to the ipad. I then tried to close iTunes & it said it was still downloading stuff. Should I try this process again or just wait?

sometimes the ipad will "timeout" while the itunes is actually still in progress of the download. Just let it continue to download. What you may need to do when the download is done is put the ipad back into recovery mode which is step 4 again.

If you need me to I can always remote into your computer and go thru the process with you just let me know.

Ok.... iTunes is clearly still downloading, but the ipad is 'on' but screen still says it's still disabled for another 50+ minutes.

no problem its ok if the ipad still says that. When its done downloading in itunes it may prompt you to restore/upgrade the ipad or say that it can't but at that specific time you may need to put the ipad back into recovery mode which is by Press and hold both the Home and the Top (or Side) buttons for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo. This is the most important step. You will get the itunes logo and power cord on the ipad screen like the one attached.

Ok. If that happens & I have to put it into recovery mode again, do I select 'restore' again?

no you wont click restore until you know for sure your iPad has the recovery mode screen I showed you , then you will restore.