Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have a Mac lap top that I don't use often but I need to…

Customer Question
I have a Mac...

I have a Mac lap top that I don't use often but I need to sign in to my apple account on it and don't seem able to do it. I can sign in on my Dell computer but not the Mac.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?

Several years ago.

Technician's Assistant: Did you try resetting through Apple's online account reset tool?

Yes.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

The Mac is an older computer and we want to update it. We need it to communicate with a Television for a slide show. My husband thinks the computer is not connected through WIFI and that may be why we're not reaching the internet. He's going to try connecting.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Mac
3/20/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Jon, Mac Enthusiast replied 1 month ago
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

You first mention that you can't sign into the mac but then later you mention that the mac can't connect to the internet. I am going to assume that you can't even sign into the mac computer because you may have forgotten the password ***** you don't use the mac that much which is understandable. So it's not going to be "easy" as if it was then everyone would break into everyone else's computer right. So I am going to list every way I know how. May look overwhelming but go slow and do one option at a time until one works. Feel free to ask questions along the way.

Single user mode option #1

1. restart computer and hold the Command key (or the apple key for older keyboards) and the "S" key.

2. wait for terminal to show - this will look like a bunch of white text

3. you can release the keys you did in step 2 once you see the white text appear.

4. when the white text stops loading, type /sbin/mount -uaw

5. press enter

6. type rm /var/db/.applesetupdone

7. press enter

8. type reboot

9. press enter

This will let you create a new admin account when you reboot your computer. If this happens, don’t worry if you don’t see your normal desktop and files. Remember, you created a new admin user account so you will now need to do the following:

1. Click the apple

2. Click System Preferences

3. Users and Groups

4. Choose your old user account on the left side menu

5. Click the “change password” button on the right side menu.

Now you can sign out of your new admin account you had created temporarily and choose to sign into your old original user account and use the new password ***** have just created.

If that does not work you can try option #2

1. restart computer and hold the Command key (or the apple key for older keyboards) and the "s" key.

2. when the white text stops loading, enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

shutdown -h now

4. After rebooting you should have a brand new admin account. When you login as the new admin you can simply delete the old one and you’re good to go again!

One last thing to try

1. Turn off your Mac (choose Apple > Shut Down).
  2. Press the power button while holding down Command-R. The Mac will boot into Recovery mode. When you see the load bar appear you can let go of the keys. It may take a few minutes to load.
  3. Choose Utilities > Terminal.
  4. Enter resetpassword (all one word, lowercase letters) and press Return
  5. Select the volume containing the account (normally this will be your Main hard drive).
  6. Choose the account to change with Select the User Account.
  7. Enter a new password ***** re-enter it into the password *****
  8. Enter a new password ***** related to the password.
  9. Click Save.
  10. A warning will appear that the password ***** changed, but not the Keychain Password. Click OK.
  11. Click Apple > Shut Down.

Now start up the Mac. You can login using the new password.

If you have any questions along the way, please let me know.

If I have helped in any way, please consider to rate my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help.

If for some reason you still need help, please do not rate my services in a negative way but instead just let me know what happened or what did not work and I will continue to help you troubleshoot the issue.

Jon
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast