Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

When I log on and enter my password the progress bar gets to…

Customer Question
When I log on...

When I log on and enter my password ***** progress bar gets to about 70% and then doesn't go any further

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?

Few months back

Technician's Assistant: Did you try resetting through Apple's online account reset tool?

This is happening on both my login and my daughters lgon

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mac
3/19/2018
Mac Support Specialist: John T. F., Apple Consultant replied 4 months ago
John T. F., Apple Consultant

Hello! I will work to provide accurate advice and info. Give me a minute to read your submission.

If Phone/Remote Services are offered, ignore them

Do you happen to know which version of macOS is running your Mac?

Sorry no I don't
Can you advise me on what to do

Sure, try this;

Shutdown your Mac.

Restart and, immediately, press and hold the “OPTION” (or “Alt”) key at boot until the boot menu appears.

Then, select the “Recovery" volume.

(Alternative: If the above doesn’t work… Restart, hold COMMAND + R keys until you see the Apple logo and progress indicator. If neither of those work, try COMMAND + R + OPT.)

Wait for “OS X Utilities” menu to appear (DO NOT CHOOSE TO INSTALL)

Choose Disk Utility from the available options.

In Disk Utility, select your normal, bootable hard drive volume from the list in the sidebar (usually "Macintosh HD").

Then, Click "Repair Disk"

If it finds errors, repeat the process until it reports the drive is OK.

Next, click "Repair Disk Permissions" if it's available.

Once the process has completed, choose “Disk Utility” > “Quit Disk Utility” in the menu bar at the top of the display.

Then, restart your Mac and it should boot back into your normal Desktop.

If you get into Disk Utility and the options available seem different then just let me know.

Disk Utility offers First Aid there’s no repair disk option.
I ran the first aid option on the HD and rebooted the Mac:
the login hangs at 70% progress

Ok, you have rather new version of macOS installed, which is good.

Did the First Aid option report any errors when you ran it?

No errors reported

Ok,

see if the mac will restart in Safe Boot mode.

Restart your Mac

As soon as soon as it restarts, quickly press and hold the SHIFT key

Continue to hold the Shift key until you see the Apple logo and progress indicator.

Then, let go of the Shift key and let it boot to the Desktop (it may take longer than usual so please be patient).

It’s booted and giving me the accounts we have set up, plus guest user login
Do I log in?

Yes, go ahead and log in and see if it works. If it signs in successfully then restart normally and see if it now boots normally.

Ok so it’s displaying safe boot mode at the top of the screen and offering the accounts screen again to choose and logon to
I’ve tried to log on to my account, the grey daisy wheel just spins but it doesn’t go any further

Ok.

Had anything changed with your Mac just prior to this issue, any new software installed, etc?

No new apps and no upgrades have been applied

Ok, are you able to sign in with another account or with Guest?

All the other accounts hang at 70% on the progress bar and guest account asked to, reboot then log onto a WiFi.
I’m now accessing the Internet via safari.

Ok, it could be system software corruption but it might also be a malware issue.

from the Guest account, try downloading the free version of Malwarebytes For Mac at the following link:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

It removes all known adware from your Mac. It is very simple to use, and should clean up your system in less than a minute, from start to finish. Just install and then open the app, click the Scan button, and remove anything that is detected.

If it actually finds something, then you can hopefully restart and sign back in once removed.

Ok it’s telling me there’s not enough space to download it
How can I make space?

Oh, we we might have just discovered your issue then if your hard drive is that full.

Can you tell me what you might have stored on your computer that would take up large amounts of space?

It’s my daughter’s mac for her homework
It can be anything from Sims 4 or files from the internet for her homeworkHow can I delete some files?

Are there files you need to keep and/or do you have a back up for this Mac?

Found the disk info: yep it’s full!
Daughter doesn’t know if she has a backup: I pay for data storage to the iCloud on all our devices
But don’t know how much her Mac is backed up
Is there a way I can delete some of her files?

For iCloud the only thing that would typically be backed up from a Mac is PIM info (Contacts, Calendar, etc...). Photos may if the mac uses iCloud Photo Library.

The problem is not being able to sign into the normal user account to access files for deletion.

If you are comfortable working from a Terminal command prompt.

You can try the following to get around and delete files until there is enough room to boot normally. The only other alternative is to erase the hard drive and start from scratch.

1) Restart your Mac and immediately hold the COMMAND and S keys together. When the screen goes black and you start seeing text appear on screen, let go of the keys.

2) After a short period of time you will land at a command prompt (:/root#). At the command-line prompt, type:

/sbin/fsck -fy

and press Return. Type:

sudo /sbin/mount -uw /

and press Return.

3) Now you can browse for files to delete. There may be some in her downloads folder. Press Return after each command.

cd /

cd /Users

ls <-- (a lower case L)

cd <useraccountname>

cd Downloads

ls

Then: delete <filename> , if it won't let you try: sudo delete <file>

Thanks
I managed to log on with my account; and delete files
However my daughter still can’t log onto her account: after entering her password ***** progress bar hangs at 70%

Ok, and perhaps a stupid question but - after deleting files did you empty the Trash?

How much space is now showing as available on the drive?