Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have too many passwords and I can't find my mac password.

Customer Question
I have too many...

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your Mac?

I have to provide my mac password ***** set my my new hp printer.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Mac? What have you tried so far?

All of my passwords that I can find.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

No, just my password. Thanks...

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mac
3/19/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Richard, Apple Software Engineer replied 4 months ago
Richard, Apple Software Engineer

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

To check, you are referring to the Mac password ***** get asked for when you start the Mac?

Please let me know

I have to use that password ***** set up my new HP printer. My internet provider is Century Link...

ok, you will have to reset the password

To do this

Power off the Mac

Right after you hear the chime, press and hold the Command and the R keys for a few seconds, then release. Soon, you'll see the Apple logo and spinning gear (or progress bar).

This will force the Mac to boot into OS X on the Recovery Partition that was created when you installed

When booting is complete, you'll see a window of "OS X Utilities." You won't do anything there. Instead, you'll go to the Menu bar at the top and select Utilities > Terminal.

In the terminal window type the following and hit Return.

resetpassword

A new window will open, like this:

http://www.macobserver.com/imgs/tmo_articles/20140617resetpassword1a.jpg

Click on the the main volume, then select the desired user account name in the popup. Then enter the new password (twice). A password ***** is optional. Click "Save."

Go back to the Apple Menu at the top. Select OS X Utilities > Quit OS X Utilities. That will prompt you to restart the Mac.

When the Mac restarts normally, you'll be able to log in to the administrator account with the new password ***** defined above. From there you can manage the rest of of the users if necessary with System Preferences > Users & Groups.

Let me know the results please