Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I'm trying to upgrade the sad on my Mid 2012 15" Macbook…

Customer Question
Hi I'm trying to...

Hi I'm trying to upgrade the sad on my Mid 2012 15" Macbook pro.

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your MacBook Pro?

El Capitan 10.11.6 I got as far as cloning the original ssd to the new one using super duper but the new ssd stalls on boot up.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your MacBook Pro? What have you tried so far?

Only this morning. I've tried putting the old ssd back in and boots up perfectly. I'm currently in the process of re cloning the ssd to see if that does it.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

Nope, I think that's it for now

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Mac
3/19/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 1 month ago
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Cloning is supposed to work since you are using it on the same machine. Do you have an external hard drive or Time Machine backup there? You can also restore the entire Time machine backup to this new drive from OS Utilities menu

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Ashik
I used a sata/usb cable to copy the old ssd to the new ssd. I'm making a new copy now with Carbon copy cloner instead of Super duper, it may take a while.

Ok, If you need any help from me, please let me know. If it is not booting even after the cloning, then do a Disk Utility repair or reinstall of OS. This should fix any permission related issue and let it boot.

The Time Machine restore will also work and has the same effect of cloning. You can also try if the Carbon copy didn't work.

If you need any help from me, please let me know.

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead of rating, please let me know by replying in here and I will stay with you and try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok great, I will try the boot once the copy is done and let you know what happens.

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My new ssd keeps disconnecting during cloning...very annoying.

Did it disconnect on Super Duper?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
a couple of times and CCC

Is there any issue with the SATA cable or SSD?

Do you have Time Machine backup?

Install the new SSD and then boot into OS Utilities screen, format and install a fresh macOS. Then test if it is working properly. Once you did that, you can open Migration Assistant and then transfer from the other SSD

Hi there, How is it going?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi....I seem to have it working now after successfully cloning the ssd with CCC.
While I have you though...I've getting the multicoloured carousel icon quite a bit when using the laptop, is there anything this could be?

Probably system files issue. Can you try repairing the disk with Disk Utility?

Ashik, Mac Technician