Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I am trying to recover a file from my simple tech hd

Hi, i am trying...

Hi, i am trying to recover a file from my simple tech hd external drive but mi mac does not recognize it

Technician's Assistant: What version of iTunes are you using to sync your Mac?

12.3.2.35

Technician's Assistant: When did you last reboot?

Just a few minutes ago

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

Yes, how can i connect to my external hd drive?

3/19/2018
Richard, Apple Software Engineer

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Did you originally use the drive on your Mac? Or did you initially use it on a windows computer?

Please let me know

Thank you

I orignaly use it on windows. I already tried to hooked to a windosw computer (surface with windows 10) and the problem persist the unit is not recognized by the laptop ( i have a surface 1) i also have tried with another computer (Sony vaio ) with Windows XP and i got the message that the hard disk is a high speed usb and that there is no high speed driver installed in the computer.

ok, have you tried connecting it with another cable?

i did

Ok, on the Mac

Shut down your Mac.

Find Command (⌘), Option, P, and R on your keyboard.

Turn on your Mac.

Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.

Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.

Release the keys.

Then when it has started, tell me if it then detects the disk please

I did this procedure yesterday before writing you and the OX /S screen ask me if i wanted to reinstal oX IOS or reinstall disk, I dont want to risk my mac disk information.
I connected the hard drive to my sony vaio laptop and the unit is recognized by plug and play but it says it has been a problem with the instalation

ok, if it asked you to do that, it is not the instructions I gave you... but you used CMD and R instead of my steps...

It would be best to do this, as it would ensure the Mac is not at fault but if you do not wish to (I cannot see if there are any issues with the Vaio) then it means the hard disk has crashed.

Your only option to get the data from it is to use a company such as this

https://www.datarecovery.net/hard-drive-recovery.aspx

You can then organize to send the hard drive into them and they will disassemble it and try to get as much data from it as possible using a scanner.0

It will not get the drive to work again but will allow you to get any data from it that is still possible.

i have a doubt, if i follow your instructions my mac hard drive is at risk?

No it is not, I would not give you the instructions if it was so, but it relies on you doing the instructions correctly.

ok my mac keybord does not have an option button, is it the alt button instead isn´t it?

ok, looks like you may have a non standard keyboard, in that case use the left ALT

ok, hold on son cmd+alt+p+r

Find Command (⌘), ALT, P, and R on your keyboard.

Turn on your Mac.

Release the keys.

sorry the i had to find new batteries for the keyboard, I followed the instructions, the mac reboots when i hit de buttons and now is asking me to select the user

Select your user and see if the drive now connects please

shoul i use FINDER?

yes

in Devices says "remote disc" but if I selected there are no files

ok, thats not the drive, nothing else listed there?

no

Then it has crashed

how could it happen? i have only use the device on to backup my laptop a few months ago and now is crashed? does it happen frequently on this simpletech hdd?

Any hard drive can always fail, it is one of the risks of a hard drive.
This is why in my opinion it is better to use a cloud service such as www.dropbox.com for this.

It is not restricted to simpletech, any branded drive can fail.

thank you for allowing me to help you today. My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen then submit before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Richard, Apple Software Engineer
thanks for your help. but I am dissapointed with the matter...have a good day