Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

On my MacBook Pro I checked out an Instagram account that…

On my MacBook Pro I...
On my MacBook Pro I checked out an Instagram account that was private. I clicked "request" but cancelled it after several seconds. I did this a couple time always cancelling after several seconds. Will that person still get the request to follow them even though I quickly cancelled the request?
3/18/2018
Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer

Hello Sir/Madam. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. If you revoke your request, following things can be happen:

• The person you requested to follow WILL SEE your request if they installed Instagram app on their phone and pay attention to their phone’s notifications.
    • if you revoke your request before they tap on their phone’s notification, they will not be able to see your request NOR will they see a notification about it in their in-app notifications
  • the person you requested to follow WILL SEE your request if they were using Instagram at the time you sent your following request
    • if you revoke your request before they check their in-app notifications tab, they will not be able to see your request NOR will they see a notification about it in their in-app notifications
  • the person you requested to follow WILL NOT SEE your request if you revoke your request before they refresh their in-app notifications tab

Regards

Jins

I have been following a person on Instagram for several years. Today I accidentally clicked the "following" icon and it deleted me from following them. When I tried to follow them again it said it was a private account and I would have to send a request. It is possible to follow their private account WITHOUT me sending a request? If yes, how can I do it?

No, it is not possible. When you accidentally clicked on that button, you unfollowed (cancelled the following) him/her. Because of of hi/her account is private to follow him/her again, you need to send request and he/she need to accept the request.

I understand that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me where I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.

Regards

Jins

Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer
Thank you Jins for your honesty.