Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I shut down my computer to reboot, now it won’t reopen. OS X…

Customer Question
I shut down my...

I shut down my computer to reboot, now it won’t reopen.

Technician's Assistant: What kind of Apple device do you have? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

OS X Capitan

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Apple device? What have you tried so far?

Tried restart twice

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I was rebooting on the chance it would solve my Word problem. I have an older w008 version that works fine but the screen is frozen in small size and won’t open to full screen. This is what started my conundrum.t

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mac
3/17/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 4 months ago
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

What is your Mac showing when you turn it on?

I’m not subscribing to ongoing service. Just this one issue. Understood?

Subscription is completely optional.

Thank you. The MacPro shows an orange and my name and accepts my password. Then the “wheel” starts turning Nd that’s it.

This usually happens if the system files are corrupted or if there is any issue with the user account as well. We can run Disk Utility and see if it works or not. Turn off your Mac. Then turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R keys at same time for 20 seconds and this will boot your Mac to the Mac OS Utilities screen. From there, click Disk Utility. Select your hard disk at left column (Macintosh HD or hard disk name). Then click First Aid button and run it. Repair if asked.

Then restart from Apple menu. If that didn't work, then turn it off. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command, Option, P and R keys at the same time for 5seconds, then release the keys and immediately hold down Shift key for 20 seconds. Does it boot into desktop ?

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead of rating, please let me know by replying in here and I will stay with you and try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

far nothing has worked.

It is possible that the user account has corrupted. Do you have the backup of your files?

I use the Cloud. I also have a backup machine that may not be uptodate.
I’ve spent a lot of my morning on this problem. I may have to let you go since I have a wedding to perform in a short while.perhaps I’ll take it to the Apple Genius Bar to get some help. Thank you,

iCloud wouldn't have a complete backup. Only Time Machine or other backups will make full backup. You can reinstall your Mac OS. Reinstalling OS won't delete any of your files. It will just replace the corrupted system files with a new one and that should fix the problem unless your user account is completely corrupted.

Turn off your Mac by holding down the power button for 5-10 seconds. Restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command and R keys at the same time for 15 seconds and this will boot your Mac to the Mac OS Utilities screen. From there, click Reinstall Mac OS. Then follow the instructions to reinstall your Mac OS.

If that didn't work, then restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command, Option and R keys at the same time for 15 seconds and this will boot your Mac to the installation screen. Follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall.

If reinstalling the OS doesn't work, then we will have to create a new account and then transfer all files from old account to new account. I will send instructions. let me know how it goes