Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I am trying to delete all info on an iPad and can’t remember…

Customer Question
Hi I am trying...

Hi I am trying to delete all info on an iPad and can’t remember the Apple password ***** the device. Not this phone but an Apple mini

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?

. Can you help?for this device some years ago.

Technician's Assistant: Did you try resetting through Apple's online account reset tool?

I tried reset and then erase- but it wants the Apple password. I have a password ***** Apple and my iPhone X but I just want to erase the iPad mini and not the iPad Air or this phone.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

No just how to erase this mini. I am a nun and not quite savvy. Sorry

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mac
I was able to erase , it says to set it up which makes me think that all is erased. Will pics also be erased? I hope so. Pls advise
T
Y
3/17/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Jon, Mac Enthusiast replied 4 months ago
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

OK here is how it works.

If you would like to "erase" any apple device, you can by going into settings/general/reset/erase all content and settings. You can also erase an apple device by doing a restore which can be done from itunes connected to your computer or by signing into icloud.com and doing the following:

1. Sign in to iCloud.com with their Apple ID.
  2. Go to Find My iPhone.
  3. Click All Devices at the top of the screen.
  4. Select the device that you want
  5. click Erase [device].

HOWEVER, the above is just info on how to "erase" the apple device but its an entire different ball game if the device is asking for an apple id and password. I can't stress enough that it does not matter if you erase the device in this case as it will still continue to ask for the apple id and password. So in that case, it all depends if you are trying to sell the apple device or just trying to get into the device for your own use. If it is for your own use, you will need to reset your apple id password.

If you feel that you have forgotten your Apple ID password, please go to https://iforgot.apple.com/password/verify/appleid and type in your Apple ID and continue. Apple will then provide you with an option to reset your password ***** by email, security questions, text message, etc.

Then once you have the password ***** you can try and sign into the apple device. If it does not work right away, you can try and restart the apple device and make sure you are connected to wifi.

If your trying to sell the apple device then you will want to make sure you are signed out of your apple device or what will happen is that the person that buys it from you will not be able to use the device as it will be locked in your name. So make sure to sign out or if you have already erased it, you can sign into icloud (www.icloud.com) or go to manage my apple id website (https://appleid.apple.com/) and remove your device from the devices section.

To remove your device from icloud:

2. Go to Find My iPhone.
  4. Select the device that you want to remove from iCloud.
  5. If necessary, click Erase [device].
  6. Click Remove from Account.

or

To remove from manage my apple id website. Sign in at https://appleid.apple.com/ and under the devices section remove the device you want in the list.

If I have helped in any way, please consider to rate my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help.

If for some reason you still need help, please do not rate my services in a negative way but instead just let me know what happened or what did not work and I will continue to help you troubleshoot the issue.