Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have forgotten my Apple ID password. Can you help me reset…

Customer Question
I have forgotten my...

I have forgotten my Apple ID password. Can you help me reset this?

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?

My son and his wife bought us the phone and must have set it up, but no one remembers it. It's been a few years.

Technician's Assistant: Did you try resetting through Apple's online account reset tool?

I have not.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of at this moment

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/16/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Cabletech, Computer Support Specialist replied 4 months ago
Cabletech
Cabletech, Computer Support Specialist

Hello and welcome! I would be happy to assist today with your question.

Give me just a moment while I review the information provided.

Based on your conversation, I see you haven't reset your password ***** yet. Are you online on this page so we can begin the steps to recovering your account?

please
I don't have a computer at home and I don't have my cell phone with me here at work

Okay! I'll ask you the questions it will ask to reset your account. What is your email address used to sign into your apple account?

Is it the same as my g.mail account?

It could possibly be if that was the account you had when you signed up for your apple account.

Then it would be***@******.***

Do you have another email account? It shows one linked that can send a password ***** to it. The linked account is g•••••.com

My husband and I use the same phone. His e-mail is***@******.***.
Otherwise, is it possible to start over from scratch?

We have another option to reset the account. It is asking for a birthday. What is your birthday? We might be able to recover the account using this method.

My birthday is *****

Maybe you used your husbands. What is his? It says it does not match the birthday on file.

We are on my daughter in laws account. Would that make a difference?

We could try her birthday too.

If she set it up, she could have used hers or your husbands.

I know you were going to ask that. I have it at home. My husbands is 10/06/1954

His didn't work either! So we're at a point where we can create you a new apple account, or if you want to try her birthday as well, we could try next time you are able to reach back out to me. If you had any purchases through it or have any backed up contacts or messages, you might want to try to recover it first.

Her birthday is *****
Is there a cost for setting up a new account?

The birthday doesn't match either. So best option might be to create a new one.

It's included with your question. Since you don't have access to a computer, I can do it for you or I can provide the steps if you wanted to have your daughter in law try.

Well, she lives in lower Michigan. That could be difficult. Would it be easier to just create a new one? Can I do that even if she is the account holder?

Yeah. Creating an apple account doesn't require her for anything. It is separate.

What do we need to do and how long does it take?

Maybe a few minutes. What is your first and last name?

Ann C Krautkramer

What was the name of your first pet?

What was the model of your first car?

What was the name of the street you grew up on?

I can find another question if you don't like one of those. I have to choose 3 so I picked the easiest ones.

Buddy
Jeep Cherokee Sport
Broad Street

Perfect. It just sent an email to***@******.***. Can you tell me the code inside that email?

Should be 6 digits

I just realized I copied the wrong email address.

You have the .a

I just tried adding yours in there and it won't let me create one with your email address because there is already one active.

This is becoming more difficult for me because I don't have the phone with me.
My husband and I are in our 60's just to give you an idea of how little we know about all of this.
It's getting late and I think I'll just head home and worry about this issue another day.

I apologize. I'll start over with my explanation because I wasn't clear on my end. You're fine!

Basically, your apple account is already created with your email address. Since we cannot reset it, we can't create you another one using that email address. I had used your husband's email to create a login. A login with Apple is your email address if that makes sense. Since he doesn't have an Apple account, it won't hurt anything to have his email address as your username.

So long story short, if you have access to his account, I just the 6 numbers from his email from Apple. They sent an email to confirm the email address and put in a 6 digit code that I have to type into my end.

but I called him and he doesn't know where to find his email account because we don't use it!

Okay! I see you said it was getting late. If you want to respond on here next time you are available, I would be happy to continue where we left off.

Do I need to do something when I log in? How will we pick up where we left off?

You can save this page that you are on now. And then just respond to this chat like you are. Then I'll get a notification that you've responded and I'll reply back. If I don't respond right away, I may be offline but will respond as soon as I get a notification.

Normally, I ask after we have everything done but in the meantime, if you wouldn't mind giving me a quick rating in the top right (hopefully 5 stars!). It helps me stay assigned to your question and helps me receive credit for helping you today. It doesn't close your question, but just locks me in so to speak.