Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I deleted the yahoo account, then to set it up again, on the…

Customer Question
Hello Richard I deleted the yahoo...
Hello Richard
I deleted the yahoo account, then to set it up again, on the add account page I selected Yahoo! from the list provided, when prompted I entered my email address and Yahoo password. I went to the mail icon, my mailbox was now labeled Yahoo (not Marlene as before), I composed a test email, sent to a contact and after a short time I received the same message that it cannot send. Don't know if this is of any importance but one of the screens in settings said Yahoo! Canada when I added the account, however our Yahoo acct is ".com"
Anyway I thought it might make a difference so I returned to settings and deleted this new Yahoo account. I started over this time selecting other from the list of mail providers, when prompted I filled in my email information, password ***** When finished the message that came up was that it couldn't complete setting up the account without "SSL" did I still want to try - not knowing what SSL is, I said yes but the account setup failed. Where to now??
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/16/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Justin Johnson, Mac Genius replied 4 months ago
Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson, Mac Genius

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your question about yahoo. I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

What are all the things you have done to try and recover your password? I only ask to make sure you are not having to overlap steps again that you have already done.

If you would like remote support please select the Secure Remote Assistance option. If you do not want remote support please ignore the prompt.

Hi Justin
Actually I have not attempted to recover my password, the message I keep encountering is that the iPad cannot connect to the to the outgoing server "apple.smtp.yahoo.com". Hence the direction given to me by Richard to delete the existing email account and add the yahoo account anew. Not sure if you have access to the entire chat trail but I encountered this problem after attempting to download an App from the online Apple Store.

Have you tried removing the account and adding it back?

As per my message above I tried adding the account back in by selecting Yahoo! from the add account list, which didn't work. So then I tried again by selecting Other from the add account list and manually putting in the server in and server out details. This is when I encountered the question of trying to proceed with out "SSL" - whatever that is. I said yes and adding the account failed.

you have to remove it first. did you remove it in settings?

I went to Settings,
Mail,Contacts, Calendars,
Selected Add Account,
Selected Yahoo
Completed my email address and Password. I then sent a test email to a contact and shortly thereafter I received the same message that the iPad could not connect to the outgoing server.

You are saying you are trying to add it. Did you ever delete it?

Sorry - yes I deleted the old account then set up the new one. I did this twice

and you set it up as a yahoo acount and not other?

the first time I set it up by selecting Yahoo! from the list provided when I selected add account. The account did set up and populated my emails when i selected the email icon, however my attempt to send out an email failed.
I went back to settings and deleted that new account. I then attempted to set up another new account by selecting Other and providing all the details, this attempt failed while I was still in settings; I believe the message was that SSL was Missing.
Also I know there are iOS version up to and maybe after 12.0 but my iPad says it is current at 9.3.5 - at least it did when I tried to update software a couple of days ago when i tried to download an App.

The issue actually may be just that you have an old iPad. Let me see if you can set it up manually.

1. Open the iOS Settings app.
  2. Tap Accounts & Passwords (or Mail, Contacts, Calendar on older devices).
  3. Tap Add Account.
  4. Tap Other.
  5. Enter your full email address and password, then tap Next.
  6. Enter our IMAP settings for incoming and outgoing servers.
  7. Enter your email address for the user name, then tap Next.
  8. Make sure "Use SSL" is on and "Server Port" is 587, then tap Done.
I'm now at the new account page, required info for incoming server
1. Is Host Name "mail.yahoo.com ??
2. Is User Name my email address??

Incoming Mail (IMAP) Server

• Server - imap.mail.yahoo.com
  • Port - 993
  • Requires SSL - Yes

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server

• Server - smtp.mail.yahoo.com
  • Port - 465 or 587
  • Requires SSL - Yes
  • Requires authentication - Yes

Your login info

• Email address - Your full email address (*****@******.***)
  • Password ***** Your account's password
  • Requires authentication - Yes
Hi Justin - under the headings info for incoming and outgoing mail server I don't have any lines that ask for Port numbers, SSL. For Incoming Mail it asks for Host Name, User name and Password; is the user name my email address and the password ***** Yahoo password??
For outgoing it asks for Host Name, says User name and password ***** optional.
What is the user name and password ***** IMAP - it is not my email address and password ***** i tried that and when it tried to verify i received the message that the User Name and Password ***** incorrect.

it is the full email address and password

my full Yahoo email address and Yahoo password *****'t verify so i tried again using my iTues password ***** that didn't work either. Do you think I should now try verifying or changing my password ?? What is the best way to go about doing that??

Can you sign in to yahoo.com?

I just exited the internet, connected again and went to the sign in page just to sure I was starting from scratch. I completed the log on with no problem.

If this doesn't work you best bet may be checking it from safari. Your OS is a a few years old and it is likely the issue.

How do I check with Safari??
I got to your service by asking for help on the internet.
I noticed that when you select "other" for the add account, at the top is add a mail account but at the bottom of the list is add OS X Server. Is it possible that this needs to be completed?? It requires Host Name. User name, Password ***** Description.
I have been left hanging - so I am not a very happy customer at this point.
Mac Support Specialist: JJesus Perez Gonzale,
 replied 4 months ago
JJesus Perez Gonzale

Hi, do you require further assistance?

No I'm good - my problem yesterday turned out to be my iPad could not support iOS greater than 9.3.5 and so Yahoo withdrew the enabled capability to operate on a system that did not meet modern security standards and therefore the reason why we could not reset my email account. Consequently Iwas forced to purchase a new iPad.
Just thought you would like to know.