Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

How do I remove MapsFrontier? OS X El Capitain. Don't know.

How do I remove...

How do I remove MapsFrontier?

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your Apple device?

OS X El Capitain

Technician's Assistant: Did the application come with an uninstaller, either on the installation disc or in the application's folder on your Mac?

Don't know

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

It is a desktop 2012 iMac

3/16/2018
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

That is a malware. Are you using Safari application?

No Chrome
No, just guide me.
I want to know how to do it next time.

In Chrome, click on Chrome menu and select Preferences.

From the resulting window, click Extensions in the left column. Click the Delete button next to the MapsFrontier or all plugins except you installed for any particular need (no need to install Google plugins) and it will be deleted. Then click on Settings in left column, under On Startup, select Open a Specific page or set of pages, click Set Pages and set www.google.com or www.apple.com or any page you want.

Once you did that, download this Malware removal tool --> https://www.malwarebytes.com/antimalware/mac/

Open the downloaded file and then do a scan with it. It will find and remove all malware including that MapsFrontier.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problem

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead of rating, please let me know by replying in here and I will stay with you and try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

OK

Let me know how it goes

I do not see extensions
I see People, Appearance, search Engine, etc

Type this website and it will take you to that page --> chrome://extensions

I see a lot of ads
No, it did not take me there.

Click on the 3 dots at the top right, click More Tools and do you see Extensions.

or click this link --> chrome://extensions

OK. I have installed the Malwarebytes-Mac-3

After installing, you will see a small M icon at the top bar left to WiFi, bluetooth etc. Click it and Stat Scan. Or open malwarebytes from Applications folder and do a scan.

That Malwarebytes application can remove that malware/adware in a few seconds. Now, you need to check Chrome again and remove all unwanted extensions except the ones from Google

It is scanning.

These malware/adwares usually disguise as useful apps like flash player, system maintenance etc and trick you to install them. These can't compromise your system though.

It found 19 malwares. Now What?
Should I click confirm?

Delete them. Restart Mac if required.

Ashik, Mac Technician