Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have a problem I'm trying to find someone to help with. i…

Customer Question
I have a problem...

I have a problem I'm trying to find someone to help with. i have a mac pro and i accidently ran a first aid on my external hard drive that was formatted for FAT for my xbox. Now it shows all my photos and documents as exec and wont let me access them even on a pc.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?

A couple of months after this happened

Technician's Assistant: Did you try resetting through Apple's online account reset tool?

No ive never hear of that, where is it or the link?

Technician's Assistant: The Mac Technician will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

And out of curiosity how does that have anything to do with the files that were corrupted before i changed it?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mac
I’m o longer with the pc I’m back at home with my Mac.
3/15/2018
Mac Support Specialist: syseng, Systems Engineer replied 4 months ago
syseng
syseng, Systems Engineer

My name is David.

When you have access to the external drive and the PC, plug the external drive into your PC and then click the Windows Start button, then type

computer

if the operating system is Windows 7 or type

This PC

if the operating system is Windows 8 or 10 and press Enter.

Then right click on the drive in the Window that appears, click Properties, then click the Tools tab, then click the Check this Drive for Errors button and let it scan and fix errors on the drive.

Once complete, access the drive and check to see if the issues are resolved.

Please let me know the result.

Ok I’m guess you didn’t see my message above. I don’t own a pc I was just at a friends seeing if I could pull up the files from my hard drive on it. I couldn’t. But now I’m home and I have a mac

Ok then just leave this question thread open and let me know when you have an opportunity to try the procedure I posted above and if you have any questions when you run it.

Ok so I just tried your idea on the hard drive it didn’t do anything. All files that had items in it photos etc are saying exec. And 0 for kb.
But there is a file that says metadata.db original that has 126kb in it.
So am I basically screwed?

No, that still sounds like file system corruption.

Next do the following on a Windows computer (I understand that you will need to go to a Windows computer to do this):

Right-click My Computer/This PC and choose: Manage.

Click Disk Management then Right-click on the 0 bytes hard drive partition in Disk Management and select Properties.

Select Advanced, then go to Owner and check to see if the list is empty.

If empty click Edit then add Administrator as the owner.

If not then go to Permissions > Change permissions > click Add and type Authenticated user and once it displays computer name/authenticated user, click OK.

Next check all permissions boxes with Allow and click OK then click Apply.

Let the computer make the changes.

When the process is done, check the drive to see if the issue is resolved.

When you do this, if you need clarification, just post a request for clarification of any of the steps and I will be notified and respond.

the disk 0 partition does not have a menu just a help option
Disk 0 partition 4 under it is the same
Under that is disc 1 it’s the same
Then is os c
Then my hard drive
Then recovery
Under all that is a separate menu are with disc 0 that does have a properties menu but not an advanced option??
Mac Support Specialist: syseng, Systems Engineer replied 3 months ago

Ok then when you click on Properties what are the options? Can you take pictures of the menus and post them here?

I tried that but the files were too big do you have an email or phone number I can send it to??

If too large to post here please post them to Wikisend at the following link:

click here

then provide me with the download link.

http://wikisend.com/download/271382/
I sent the pictures of the screen to the link you sent but haven’t heard back yet

My apologies for the delay - I was away from my computer.

Thank you for the picture - it appears that the partition named Rabbithole on drive 1, partition E: is where you need to right click and run the procedure. Did you right click on the E: Rabbithole partition and try running the procedure?

When I go to rabbithole which is the ext hard dr. And select properties there is no adv setting. There is prev versions, customize, general, tools , hardware, sharing. As options. I clicked on each one none have advanced settings or owner.
Sorry this is taking so long but I don’t have access to a pc easily. This would be easier if I could fix it on the Mac that I messed it up on����‍♀️
That is correct but as I said when you click properties the menu that pops up doesn’t have an advanced option just the ones I listed above
Still waiting for your response to the above answer to your question
http://wikisend.com/download/944480/
Ok I just sent you another picture link from wiki. This is the file that pulls up when I do what you said. No security.

Ok, thanks.

Next click the Windows Start button then the Search box and type

cmd

in the Search box then right click on the command terminal icon that appears and click Run as Administrator.

In the command prompt type

chkdsk e: /f /r

assuming that the external Rabbithole drive is still assigned drive letter E:

Press Enter and let it scan and fix drive corruption. Once completed try again to access files on the drive.

Please let me know the result.

http://wikisend.com/download/944480/F1A276E5-DE8A-4210-8B59-5EC534370BA2.jpeg
This is what it shows after.
I can access the music only
All the photos, which is what I’m desperate to retrieve I can’t open!!
The metadata.db original file shows a lot in it. Could that be the photos?
How can I retrieve it etc?
It won’t let me just open it it wants you to pick a program to open it I’ve tried word and the windows office one. They won’t open it.
just a FYI the music was always accessible to me even before. It’s everything else that’s not.

Ok then given the issues encountered with the disk, at this point I would recommend the Disk Warrior software - see the link below:

click here

Disk Warrior is the most widely used Mac software for addressing storage drive related issues on a Mac computer. Disk Warrior will most likely fix file access on the drive quickly - it is not free however it is very good.