Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I HAVE A SCREEN WITH NO EXTERNAL HARD DRIVES SHOWING, NO…

Customer Question
I HAVE A...

I HAVE A GRAY SCREEN WITH NO EXTERNAL HARD DRIVES SHOWING, NO DOCK SHOWING AND NO TIME IN TOOL BAR

Technician's Assistant: When was the last time you updated the Operating System (OS) on your Apple device?

DON'T KNOW OR NOT SURE HOW TO DO

Technician's Assistant: The Mac Technician will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

NOT AT THIS TIME, THANKS

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Mac
3/15/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 3 months ago
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

What version of macOS are you using?

When did this problem start?

OSX 10.9.5 THE PROBLEM STARTED WHEN I WAS TRYING TO ELIMATE SCREEN KEPT POPING UP AND IN INSTALLED MAC BOOSTER TO SCAN AND REPAIR PROBLEM. HAS ONLY GOT WORST
I AM WAITING FOR YOUR ANSWER

Somehow your Mac is infected with malware. This usually happens if the system files are corrupted. We can run Disk Utility and see if it works or not. Turn off your Mac. Then turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R keys at same time for 20 seconds and this will boot your Mac to the Mac OS Utilities screen. From there, click Disk Utility. Select your hard disk at left column (Macintosh HD or hard disk name). Then click Verify Disk (under First Aid). If asked to repair, click Repair Disk. Then click Repair Permission.

Then restart from Apple menu. If that didn't work, then turn it off. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command, Option, P and R keys at the same time for 5seconds, then release the keys and immediately hold down the Shift key for 20seconds. Does it boot into the desktop ?

Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problem

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead of rating, please let me know by replying in here and I will stay with you and try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

DOES THIS MEAN I HAVE TO SPEND $39.00 TO GET ANSWER?

Secure remote is completely optional. Did you get the answer?

Somehow your Mac is infected with malware. This usually happens if the system files are corrupted. We can run Disk Utility and see if it works or not. Turn off your Mac. Then turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R keys at same time for 20 seconds and this will boot your Mac to the Mac OS Utilities screen. From there, click Disk Utility. Select your hard disk at left column (Macintosh HD or hard disk name). Then click Verify Disk (under First Aid). If asked to repair, click Repair Disk. Then click Repair Permission. Then restart from Apple menu. If that didn't work, then turn it off. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command, Option, P and R keys at the same time for 5seconds, then release the keys and immediately hold down the Shift key for 20seconds. Does it boot into the desktop ? Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problemNote : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead of rating, please let me know by replying in here and I will stay with you and try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.
THIS DID NOT WORK, NOW WHAT?

Secure remote will not since your Mac is not turning on properly. So you will not be charged for that. You can reinstall your Mac OS. Reinstalling OS won't delete any of your files. It will just replace the corrupted system files with new one and that should fix the problem.

Turn off your Mac by holding down the power button for 5-10 seconds. Restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command and R keys at the same time for 15 seconds and this will boot your Mac to the Mac OS Utilities screen. From there, click Reinstall Mac OS. Then follow the instructions to reinstall your Mac OS.

If that didn't work, then restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command, Option and R keys at the same time for 15 seconds and this will boot your Mac to installation screen. Follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

HOW ARE WE GOING TO FIX THIS?
Secure remote will not work since your Mac is not turning on properly. So you will not be charged for that. You can reinstall your Mac OS. Reinstalling OS won't delete any of your files. It will just replace the corrupted system files with new one and that should fix the problem.Turn off your Mac by holding down the power button for 5-10 seconds. Restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command and R keys at the same time for 15 seconds and this will boot your Mac to the Mac OS Utilities screen. From there, click Reinstall Mac OS. Then follow the instructions to reinstall your Mac OS.If that didn't work, then restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command, Option and R keys at the same time for 15 seconds and this will boot your Mac to installation screen. Follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall.Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.
ARE YOU GOING TO FIX THIS?
Please see the answer above
MY MAC IS NOW ON

What is your Mac showing now?

TAKE OVER MY COMPUTER AND FIX IT

If your Mac is not booting up to desktop, then secure remote will not work because your Mac will not let me connect. Secure remote was an automatic offer from this site and will not work OS corrupted issues. So please ignore secure remote and please follow the instructions I sent you to resintall macOS

Were you able to reinstall?

I COULD NOT INSTALL BECAUSE IT SAYS I MUST BE ON INTERNET AND CANNOT DO BOTH AT SAME TIME

You just need to have the Mac connected to WiFi or Ethernet (to router). You can connect it to WiFi from the install window,

Ashik, Mac Technician