Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have an older iphone 5 that is not currently activated as…

Customer Question
Hi, I have an...

Hi, I have an older iphone 5 that is not currently activated as my phone. I used it recently to make some voice memos and succeeded in connecting the iphone with itunes and synced it all up. However, I decided to delete the memos. Now, of course, I thought I might like to have them back. I hooked up the iphone to itunes and thought I saw one memo, but upon trying to sync it up, the memos have indeed disappeared on itunes also. I have tried to download various programs on the internet that claim to be able to retrieve deleted stuff, including voice memos, from an iphone, but none have given me any success. If I brought my iphone 5 into an Apple store, is there a chance that a technician would be able to retrieve these voice memos for me?

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?

I haven't for at least a year I believe.

Technician's Assistant: Did you try resetting through Apple's online account reset tool?

I didn't know about this particular tool. Is it on the website?

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

Not yet.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Mac
3/14/2018
Mac Support Specialist: syseng, Systems Engineer replied 3 months ago
syseng
syseng, Systems Engineer

My name is David.

Go to your Apple ID account page at the link below and click "Forgot Apple ID or password." If asked to confirm your phone number, use steps for two-factor authentication instead.

https://appleid.apple.com/#!&page=signin

Enter your Apple ID.

Select the option to reset your password, then choose Continue and follow the rest of the steps as prompted.

Please let me know the result and if you need further assistance.

Sorry, I'm a little confused. I don't need to reset my password. I wanted to know if it's possible to retrieve some deleted voice memos on my iphone 5.
Just to let you know, I use an iphone 6S as my regular phone and this iphone 5 is deactivated. I just use it as an mp3 player usually. I made some voice memos that I deleted and now I'd like to know if it's possible to retrieve them by myself or if I have to take it in to an apple store to get them to do it. (If they can).

Thank you for the clarification.

Since the phone does connect with iTunes do the following:

Plug your iPhone into your computer then open iTunes on your computer and select your iPhone at the top of the iTunes screen. Select “Music” from the tab options in the sidebar and then select “Sync Music” and then select “Include voice memos.” Your voice memos should then load into iTunes where you can access them.

Sorry, that didn't work. I deleted them on my iphone first and so itunes copied what I did and now there is nothing on itunes or my phone. Did deleting them on my iphone destroy them completely or are they hidden somewhere?

Previous backups in iTunes should have the voice memos. To see the backups that are stored for the iPhone open iTunes, then click iTunes in the menu bar, then choose Preferences.

Click Devices and select your device to view the backups.

Then you can control click the backup you want to view then choose Show in Finder to view it.

Hi, I just tried this and I'm afraid there is only one back up from last night and no others before the time when I deleted the memos. I can't rely on itunes for a back up of my phone.

Just to make sure a step is not missing from the backup procedure, please click the link below and follow the instructions to perform a backup to both iTunes and to iCloud. Then check to see if the backup succeeded.

click here

Please let me know the result.

Okay, I have looked at the instructions and this is what I have been doing before. I looked at the backups for icloud and for This computer, each time I did them and it only shows me one at a time the ones that I did. So it doesn't show me if I did it for icloud or this computer. But it does show me the time I did it. When I do the one for icloud it first says Your iphone has never been backed up to icloud. Then it will say Today 12:19 AM to This Computer, or to icloud. So I'm not too sure what that means but I have done them through itunes. I have iOS 10.3.3 installed on my iphone 5. So I don't see icloud in my settings as they show it on the instructions page for 10.2.
Sorry, I am also using itunes on a PC, not a Mac. I do have a Macbook but I only just purchased it last summer and don't yet know how to use it as well as a PC.

Ok so just to clarify, you don't have a backup of the phone dated before the memos were deleted?

that’s correct.Tom

Ok then I would recommend a recovery app such as the one at the link below:

click here

I have used similar programs with success on computers. The difference with this one is that it can read the file system on the phone so can detect deleted files on the phone's file system that have not yet been purged.

Okay, I’ll try this tonight. Thanks.

Ok, sounds good. If you have any questions while working with the program just let me know.

Hi, this didn't find anything. I went to the web site and went into common questions and this is what I found;Gethen Sullivan • a year agoI tried to use your free version of iPhone Data recovery to recover some deleted voice mails from an iPhone 6s with iOS 10.2 however it doesn't work. I tested by deleting 2 recent voice memos, I didn't create any new files so the memory would not have been written over. Your program was only able to find existing, undeleted voice memos, the same ones that you can get by syncing with iTunes.Is there a bug in the program, or does it not work with iOS 10?Cheers.•
Reply

Share ›−
Avatar
Jihosoft Gethen Sullivan • a year agoHello Gethen, we have disscussed such kind of issue with out tech team. And it is said that the disk itself also has a kind of Rewind system. It would refresh the disk automatically. Hence, the data may be overwritten by this rewind.
Besides this, there may be some unknown reason which we do not know at present.When I ran the program it asked me to connect and check the items I wanted to find. I checked only voice memos, then pressed next. It chose recover from itunes back up. There were no other choices like device alone and I was unable to uncheck the check box beside this choice . I ran it anyway and it found the back up I made but, no surprises, it didn't find any voice memos. Any other programs or ways to use this one that I cannot find? Or other ideas?

I was hoping to provide you with a free data recovery software however that one does not work for you.

So, here are paid versions that are known to work quite well, Dr. Fone being the most well known but also one of the more expensive options. The Phone Rescue for iOS is less expensive and has a 60 day money back policy and also lists support for media files, which you need. Please click the link below to review and download:

click here

Okay, i have purchased the software and will give it a try.

Ok, very good. Please let me know the result and if you have questions when using the software.

Hi, I have exhausted myself trying to use every way of finding these voice memos and the results from device alone, itunes backup and icloud and shown nothing. Have I truly deleted these memos? When I deleted them, I decided a couple of days later to see if I could find them again. when I hooked up my iphone to itunes I saw the longer of them on the screen but then I synced up the phone and it disappeared. So did any section showing voice memos.

Once files are deleted, the more time that goes by the less likely they will be recovered because the deleted file space will be overwritten eventually, purging them permanently. So how long since they were deleted?

12 to 14 days

Hmmmm, in that period of time did you use it often for data processing, such as for documents and other voice memos?

No, it usually just sits on the shelf, unused and off. I haven’t even used it for an MP3 player.
Does the software find any files on the phone you can identify?
it find files but I’m not sure if its just what’s already on there or if it’s recovering things that were deleted. I’ll have to try it again and see what it’s finding.

Ok, that makes sense. If you have questions about the files, just take a picture of the information and post the picture here so I can review.

Also, check the file dates as those dated before the files were deleted will help narrow the scope of files you are checking.

Okay, I will do this a little later when I have access to my computer and send you the information then.
Okay, I opened the PhoneRescue and did a scan on the phone itself, then on my itunes backup. There is no icloud backup. It is all for my iphone 6s. I know because the iOS is 11.2.6 and my iphone 5 only goes to 10.3.3.
I get more information retrieval from just an iphone scan than an itunes backup as you will see in the pictures. And if you look at the call history or calender it has files dating back to Oct. 2015. When I look at the notes however, they are all dated March 19 / 2018, which is very strange. In the media section there are lots but there are no voice memos to be found in any of the scans.
IMG_2036b.jpgIMG_2036b.jpgIMG_2037b.jpgIMG_2037b.jpgIMG_2039b.jpgIMG_2039b.jpgIMG_2041b.jpgIMG_2041b.jpgIMG_2042b.jpgIMG_2042b.jpgIMG_2043b.jpgIMG_2043b.jpgIMG_2044b.jpgIMG_2044b.jpgIMG_2045b.jpgIMG_2045b.jpgIMG_2046b.jpgIMG_2046b.jpg

Thank you for posting the additional information.

Just in case the software mistakenly identifies the voice memos as other media files, I recommend looking through the other media files as well just in case the voice memos are included in the wrong section.

I have looked through everything that the program found and there is no sign of the voice memos that I am looking for. The most likely place would have been music and I didn't see the title for the memo. I even did a search through the file which found nothing.
What is left that I can do on my side?

I am going to open your question up to other experts in case they have additional ideas on how to access the deleted memos.

okay, thanks.
Hello David, is anyone looking into my case? I haven’t heard from one of your experts for a few days now.