Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have an imac computer that I want to donate to a facility…

Customer Question
I have an imac...

I have an imac computer that I want to donate to a facility for senior citizens. I want to clear all my information from that computer. How do I do that. I will need very specific info because I want to print the information out and do the work later.

Technician's Assistant: How are you connecting to your printer: wirelessly or by USB?

Wirelessly

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the printer driver software?

Maybe a hundred years ago

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mac
3/14/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Eric Ewing, IT Pro replied 4 months ago
Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing, IT Pro

Hi! I'm Eric, a Mac expert who's been paired with you through JustAnswer.com. I'm reviewing your question now, and will return w/ an answer soon!

Hello! Given the circumstances, I would recommend resetting your iMac entirely (erasing all files, reinstalling macOS, etc.). Here's how to do that:

Note: The software you have on your Mac is licensed to you, which means it doesn't get transferred to the new owner of your computer (except the operating system). In order to avoid complications with the new owner attempting to download and install software that is licensed by you, make sure to sign out of everything your personal information is connected to.

How to sign out of iTunes

• Open iTunes on your Mac.
  • Click Account in the Menu bar on the left side of your screen.
  • Click on Sign Out.

How to sign out of iMessage

• Open Messages on your Mac.
  • Click Messages in the Menu bar at the top left corner of your screen.
  • Click Preferences from the drop-down menu.
  • Select your iMessage account.
  • Click on Sign Out.

How to sign out of iCloud

• Click on the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your Mac's screen.
  • Click System Preferences from the drop-down menu.
  • Click on iCloud.

• Un-tick the box for Find My Mac.
  • Enter your system password ***** prompted.
  • Click on Sign Out.
  • Click Remove data from this Mac when prompted.

Reformat your hard drive

Once you've signed out of everything that might connect your old Mac to your personal information, you can erase everything on it by reformatting the hard drive.

• Turn on or restart your Mac.
  • Hold down Command and R at the same time right after you restart your Mac. Keep holding down the keys until your Mac finishes loading and you see the macOS Utilities window.
  • Select Disk Utility.
  • Click on Continue.

• Select your Startup disk (it is probably named "Macintosh HD" or something similar).
  • Click on Erase from the buttons at the top of the Disk Utility window.

• Select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) from the drop-down menu next to Format.
  • Select GUID Partition Map from the drop-down menu next to Scheme (where applicable - not ever Mac has this).
  • Click Erase.
  • After the process is complete, select Quit Disk Utility from the Disk Utility drop-down menu in the upper left corner of the screen.​

Reinstall a clean Mac operating system

After you reformat your hard drive it will be ready for a clean installation of the operating system. You should already be in the Utilities window after erasing your Mac. If not, restart your computer and hold down Command and R at the same time until you see the Apple logo.

Note: Make sure your Mac is connected to the internet in order to verify the software. You'll be asked to do so during the installation process.

• Turn on or restart your Mac.
  • Click on Reinstall macOS (or Reinstall OS X where applicable) to reinstall the operating system that came with your Mac.
  • Click on Continue.
  • Select your hard drive ("Machintoch HD" or something similar), when asked to select your disk.
  • Click on Install to install the operating system that came with your Mac. Your Mac will restart after the installation is complete.
  • Hold down Command and Q after the installation is complete. Do not follow the setup instructions. Leave that part for the new owner. 8 Click Shut Down to shut down your Mac.

Your Mac is now clean and ready for a new owner. :-)

Hello! Just quickly checking back in to make sure your issue is now resolved? When you have the chance, would you kindly let me know? Thanks so much for using JustAnswer.com!