Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Running slow, filmmaker crashes once every day or

Running slow, filmmaker crashes...

Running slow, filmmaker crashes once every day or two....suspect it needs to be cleaned up, LOL, what's the best program for that

Technician's Assistant: What apps were you running right before your Apple device crashed?

Usually safari, but it's not the computer crashing, it's filmmaker

Technician's Assistant: How much storage do you have left on your device?

Looks like I'm using about 300 of 730 or so

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

Nope, just running slow, especially filmmaker programs

3/14/2018
syseng
syseng, Systems Engineer

My name is David.

Please click Finder, then click the Help menu then About this Mac and let me know the OSX version installed.

10.13.3

Ok thank you.

Since storage drive corruption can cause this type of issue, first do the following:

Press Command+Space to open Spotlight search and type “Disk Utility” and press Enter.

In the Disk Utility application, select the disk or partition to check — which in this case is the system partition is named “Macintosh HD” by default — and then click the “First Aid” button.

Note that the First Aid function can run on an entire disk, or an individual partition depending on what you select.

Click “Run” and the Mac will check the disk selected for errors automatically fix any errors it finds.

After running the utility, restart the computer and test to see if the issues are resolved.

Next perform an NVRAM/PRAM reset:

Power down the computer then press and hold the Option, Command, P and R keys at the same time while powering up and release after 20 seconds or when the apple logo appears and disappears for the second time or when the welcome sound plays for the second time .
Please let me know the result.

syseng
syseng, Systems Engineer
it's definitely running better, thanks. It's still not as fast as it used to be, especially the drop down boxes etc, but it hasn't crashed today!

Very good and glad I could help!

Just let me know if you need further assistance.