Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I bought my son a new Mac for college & I have his old one.

Customer Question
I bought my son...

I bought my son a new Mac for college & I have his old one. I had the screen repaired & asked them to wipe it, however, it still has my son as the administrator & he can't remember his password. I can't hook up a printer or do much else until I get this sorted out. I am in Corpus Christi & he is in Lubbock. HELP!

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?

No idea. This computer has my son & my wife listed & I am logged on as a guest.

Technician's Assistant: Did you try resetting through Apple's online account reset tool?

No idea how to do that

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mac
3/14/2018
Mac Support Specialist: syseng, Systems Engineer replied 4 months ago
syseng
syseng, Systems Engineer

My name is David.

First you may need access to the Apple ID used on this computer, so follow the steps below to reset the Apple ID password.

Go to your Apple ID account page at the link below and click "Forgot Apple ID or password." If asked to confirm your phone number, use steps for two-factor authentication instead.

https://appleid.apple.com/#!&page=signin

Enter your Apple ID.

Select the option to reset your password, then choose Continue and follow the rest of the steps as prompted.

Next, reboot your computer then use the new Apple ID password ***** prompted while performing the following steps.

Press the Command and R keys at the same time immediately when the computer initially starts and hold them until you see the Apple logo.

Wait until the computer boots into Recovery Mode.

Click the Utilities tab in the top menu bar.

Select Terminal

Type resetpassword ***** the terminal window and press Enter.

Close the Terminal window.

In the Reset Password ***** that is now visible, select a user account and type in a new password.

Click Save and then click the Apple menu and select the restart option.

When the computer boots, login with the new password.

Please let me know if you need assistance with any of the steps.

Thanks,

David.

That took over five hours?

No, I just came online and responded to your question. Other Mac experts may not have been online or may not have been available to answer.

Do you still need assistance?