Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

We are trying to update the administrator name and password…

We are trying to...

We are trying to update the administrator name and password ***** my husband has died. How do we do this?

Technician's Assistant: When was the last time you updated the Operating System (OS) on your Apple device?

We are trying to update the MacOS High Sierra so we can install Quicken 2018.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I have OS X. 10.10.5. Quicken 2018 requires OS X 10.11 or later.

3/13/2018
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

You can reset the password ***** booting into Mac OS Utilities screen. First, go to System Preferences select iCloud. Scroll down and if the Keychain option is enabled, then turn it off or uncheck it.

Then follow the steps below to reset the password.

Turn off your Mac.

Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R keys at the same time for 10 seconds.

This will boot your Mac to "Mac OS Utilities” menu.

Click on the “Utilities” menu in the top bar and select “Terminal".

Type (without space) --> resetpassword

Press return. This will bring Reset Password ***** Select the hard disk at top column, select the user account from the drop down under it, confirm the user account and then change password ***** Save. Then click on the Apple icon and select Shutdown.

Turn it back on. After restarting, if you get any message about Keychain then click Create New Keychain.

If you are still getting keychain error, then reset the keychain access database. Follow the steps below to reset Keychain;

In Finder, hold down Option key on your keyboard, click on Go menu at the top bar and select Library. This will open Library folder. Trash Keychain folder in there and restart your Mac.

Then open Apple > System Preferences > Users & Groups. Unlock the lock and change the admin name there.

Re OS X, you can upgrade to latest version from here, after setting a new password *****> https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT201475

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead of rating, please let me know by replying in here and I will stay with you and try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

Ashik, Mac Technician
We can’t get the IS utilities screen

Before doing secure remote, please try and reset the password ***** the steps.

Turn off your Mac completely.

Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command, Option and R keys at the same time for 10 seconds.

Type (without space) --> resetpassword

Let me know

Where are you?

Did you get the reply?

Shut down your Mac completely.

Type (without space) --> resetpassword

Let me know

Still waiting.....

Are you seeing the replies?

We tried shutting it down and using Command R with no result.

Are you sure you are using OS X 10.10.5?

The Command and R should have worked. Did you shut it down from Apple menu > Shutdown

Also, did you try Command, Option and R keys immediately after turning it on?

Type (without space) --> resetpassword

Okay, we did it. Part of the problem was the setup we have is the laptop, large screen and accessory keyboard. Now we restarted it, but I still need to download the OS 10.11 or later.

I will connect to your Mac and download the OS X upgrade.

Follow the steps below to start secure remote support session.

If you are talking to me from your Mac now, then just click this link -> https://www.fastsupport.com/441785374

If not, open www.fastsupport.com on your computer. Enter your name and enter this code --> 441785374

Follow the onscreen instructions to connect. An application named GotoAssist opener will be downloaded. Then open the GotoAssist opener file you see there and then open the GotoAssist opener application. You can also open it from Downloads. Open GotoAssist opener file. Allow permission to connect or Join session if asked.

(If you don't see the downloaded GotoAssist opener file, then click on the Finder icon on the dock, then click on Go menu and select Downloads. This will bring Downloads folder. Now you see a file named GotoAssist opener file there. Double click on it to open)

Let me know if you have any difficulty connecting to me.

Is the download completed and installation started?

I just returned from an appt. download has 23 min remaining.

Ok, once it is downloaded, it will open the installation screen. You can follow onscreen instructions to install it.

Installation is almost complete.
Skip iCloud or don't sign in to iCloud
You can setup iCloud later. If it is stuck restart the Mac and setup without iCloud
Do I have the right update now to install Quicken 2018?
No, you can install quicken now
My helper left. How do I do that?
I don’t know what user name to put in! My deceased husband? Mine?
Should I contact Quicken support?
Where are you?
Done for today?
Sorry for the delay. Open the quicken installation file and install it. Use your details if you want to use it for your needs
Thanks for your help!

You're welcome!