Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

My Mac restarts when I command it to shut down. It also

My Mac restarts when...
My Mac restarts when I command it to shut down. It also restarts when I try and download an app from the internet. I've spent a lot of time with apple technicians, went through their checkoff list and still cannot solve the problem.
I have to press the on-off button every night when I shut it down for the evening. I can provide you with the report I send to Apple when the computer restarts. What is the extra charge(if any) for you to securely connect to my mac?
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance.
3/14/2018
syseng
syseng, Systems Engineer

My name is David.

There are a couple procedures that may resolve the issue.

First, perform an SMC reset by doing the following:

Shut down the Macbook.
Press Shift-Control-Option on the left side of the built-in keyboard and press the power button at the same time. Hold these keys and the power button for 10 seconds.
Note that if you have a MacBook Pro with Touch ID, the Touch ID button is also the power button.
After pressing the keys together for 10 seconds, release all keys.
Press the power button again to turn on your Macbook and test to see if the issue is resolved.

If that does not resolve the issue, an NVRAM/PRAM reset may resolve the issue.

Power down the computer then press and hold the Option, Command, P and R keys at the same time while powering up and release after 20 seconds or when the apple logo appears and disappears for the second time or when the welcome sound plays for the second time .
Please let me know the result.

I tried both options. Option 1 failed. Option 2 failed, but I was given 4 options as follows:
1. Restore from time machine backup
2.Reinstall Mac OS
3.Get help online
4.Disk UtilityI chose option 4 because I was familiar with it. At this point I am going to click the securely connect link.

Good choice as that would be my next recommendation since file system corruption can also cause the issues you describe. Use the First Aid tool to fix file system corruption then restart and test to see if the issues are resolved. If not there are additional procedures I can provide that may also resolve the issue.

David L: At 3:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time today I am going to click the securely connect link and have you take over my
computer. As long as "satisfaction guaranteed" I am OK paying the extra $39. I did the first aid on the disk and that did not work. Are you OK with this plan?

Yes, I will be available at that time and accessing the computer directly. There are several items to address that I can do much quicker when directly connected.

I got home early and will click the securely connect link at 2:45PM. If you are successful in correcting the problem, I want to do 2 procedures:
1. Shut down the computer via the apple logo in the upper left hand corner.
2. Download the TWS App from Interactive Brokers. Every time I tried to download this app, the computer goes to restart.
I tried clicking the securely connect link and to my knowledge nothing happen. I guess you have to send me another message.
It is 2:53 and I am at my computer and will remain here until 3:15. If I do not hear from you we can try again tomorrow.

I am in the PDT time zone and it is now 6PM my time. If you are available now please let me know, otherwise if you are available at the same time tomorrow we can try to start the remote session at that time.

6:00 PM PDT would not work out. 4:00PM would be preferable. If that works out for you, what would you want me to do then?
We set up a 3:00 PM time today and nothing worked out. Please send me instructions on how make this work tomorrow.
A new problem has popped up. I am no longer able to back up to an outside device. I think this is all tied in together.
My MAC has some big time problems. Jerry Neft
I am available today from now(11:25AM) until 3:30 today if you want to work on my computer.

Ok, thank you - for some reason I could not see your question thread earlier which is why the 3PM time did not work. I will be back shortly and will post here to let you know I am ready to start the remote session.

Ok
Once you post, I will click the securely connect unless you tell me otherwise.

Ok, I am back and available now.

syseng
syseng, Systems Engineer
I clicked the securely connect link but nothing happened. Just tell me what you want me todo.

Just a moment and I will post the remote assistance link...

Ok, I await your taking over the computer

Please click the following link to open the remote assistance web page:

click here

Then click the I Agree button near the bottom of the web page to download

the remote assistance program. Select Run if prompted and if not prompted

then double click the Elsinore file in your downloads folder to start the

remote assistance session.
If you are prompted with a message "can't be opened because it is from an

unidentified developer" then to run the program hold down the Control key

and click the Elsinore application icon (the program should also be located

in your Downloads folder if you need to locate it). From the contextual menu

choose Open. A popup will appear asking you to confirm this action. Once you

confirm the program will run and the remote session will start.

Everytime I click the Elsinore download, the computer restarts. This is THE problem

Ok then let's try a different remote assistance program.

Click the following link and download then start the remote access program:

click here

Then once it's running, let me know the number it displays so I can connect.

If that program does not work for you there is another that I have used in the past that should.

I cancelled the secure remote assistance program. Every app you sent me that I tried to open, shut down and restarted the computer. This has been the essence of my problem with the MAC. I have a hard time believing that anything else you send
me will open and allow you to control my computer.

Ok, that is understandable.

If after the restart a message appears stating "Your computer was restarted because of a problem" and there is either a details window displayed, or a More button, try to gather that information and post it here so I can review. That information may point to the root cause, such as an update that did not install correctly or a program that is not working, which we can use to resolve the restart issue.

I have tried to print out or save the report I send to Apple, but it appears that Apple is prohibiting me from doing that.
Every time the computer restarts I receive a report to send to Apple that shows programmer language. Any thoughts on how to save or print that report. It would take all day for me to hand write that stuff out.
I took 5 separate photos of the report I send to Apple on my iPhone.. I can send them to you, but you would really have to magnify to read properly.

Yes, please post them here and I will review them. If the photos have high resolution I will be able to read them.

This may take awhile. I don't how to post from my iPhone. It may not happen.

You can also email them to me at the email address I just provided.

did you have any luck reading the photos I emailed you?

My apologies for the delay - yes I did receive them - thank you.

Based upon what I found in the photos I have some questions:

Do you have an external monitor plugged in?

Also, what peripheral USB devices are installed?

None, it is a lap top with no outside devices installed other that a wireless mouse.
Ok thanks. Have you recently installed any programs or installed or connected devices that are not currently plugged in?
No. Other than Elsinore and Any Desk. No other devices other than my and my wife's iPhones. Nothing was done prior to the
beginning of this problem on or about March 8th.

Ok thanks.

Next do the following:

Press Command+Space to open Spotlight search and type “Disk Utility” and press Enter.

In the Disk Utility application, select the disk or partition to check — which in this case is the system partition is named “Macintosh HD” by default — and then click the “First Aid” button.

Note that the First Aid function can run on an entire disk, or an individual partition depending on what you select.

Click “Run” and the Mac will check the disk selected for errors automatically fix any errors it finds.

After running the utility, restart the computer and test to see if the issues are resolved.

This is about the 4th time I've done first aid on the Macintosh HD. Results are the same: no issues resolved.

Ok, then next press Command+Space to open Spotlight search and type “Activity Monitor” and press Enter. Check each of the tabs (such as CPU, Memory and Disk) and let me know if any of the processes are much too high. Check the graph located in the bottom left corner of the Activity Monitor on each tab and let me know if any of the tabs show the graph levels as red rather than green.

On the CPU tab, Activity Monitor, Window Server, and Kernal_Task appear higher than any other item listed. In the graph at the bottom System is in Red, User is in blue. I did not see anything out of the ordinary on the Memory and Disk tabs. That being said, this is all a little above my pay grade.

Ok, thanks. So the memory and disk tab graphics are green?

Also, can you take a picture of the CPU tab and post it here so I can review?

Actually, if the issue is the kernel, the best thing to do is perform a full backup and then reinstall the operating system. This may sound daunting however the process is pretty straight forward and should fix the problem.

Click the link below and review the OSX reinstall instructions first:

click here

Then let me know if you have any questions, and then proceed with the reinstall.

Once completed, boot up and test to see if the issue is resolved by first checking Activity Monitor to see if the CPU tab still shows a red graphic with kernel at the top.

OK, I will try it. It may be awhile before I get back to you.

Ok and thanks for letting me know.

I will send you a photo of the CPU tab tomorrow.

Ok, sounds good and thanks for letting me know.

I have one more idea before I start this exercise. I would still like to have you take over my computer. We tried Elsinore and
Desk Top and both failed. You said you had a third alternative. The problem is I don't want to go through the exercise of committing to Secure Remote Assistance only to have your third method fail. Why don't you try and access my computer and if it works, you click the link committing me to Secure Remote Assistance when in my computer. That way you get the $39. and have access to my computer. If your third method fails, I will go back and try and reload the OS. Regarding the OS, I tried through the app store and clicked the purchase link. It listed versions of High Sierra such as yosemite and el capitain, etc.Do I
just download the latest version if it comes to that?

Regarding the different versions of Mac OS X, yes you should download the latest version which would be High Sierra (10.13).

Also, please post a photo of the CPU tab in Activity Monitor as that may shed some light on the cause of the issue.

For the remote assistance test I actually have two remote assistance programs that we could try. First, click the following link and download and run the remote assistance program and let me know if it runs or if it crashes like the other remote assistance programs:

click here

If that does not work, please try the following program:

click here

Team Viewer was successfully installed. Do you want to take over my computer?
I will need your partner I.D. to hook up with my computer.
LET'S SET UP A TIME ON FRIDAY. IT IS TOO LATE TONIGHT AND I AM BUSY ALL DAY THURSDAY.

Ok, very good. Would you have a time slot open late Friday afternoon or evening?

Late Friday afternoon about 4:00PM?

I am in the PDT time zone - so would that be 4PM PDT time?

That is correct. I am in the same time zone.
My computer is ready to have you take it over. Once you have control of my computer, I will phone your customer service and have them charge me $39.00

Hello and sorry for the delay.

Due to an urgent situation I will not be able to start the remote session until late tomorrow evening or Sunday morning. Please let me know if you will be available during one of those times.

Again my apologies for the delay.

Thank you,

David.

How early Sunday morning?

Hello - I am available. Just let me know when you are ready.

I am ready now.
I am ready now. I need your number for teamViewer

Please provide your number first, and then the password ***** I can connect.

I am ready now. I need your number for teamViewer My ID: 744 862 515 Password *****

It appears that the computer rebooted when I started Chrome, which is what I thought may happen based upon the entries in the log files. Please let me know when the computer is back up and I will reconnect.

Team viewer is up. I had to reinstall the program. My new password ***** *****
I’d is 744 862 515. Password ***** ***** Are you there?

Yes - reconnecting now

It appears to have rebooted again when starting Chrome which would confirm what the log files indicate. Please let me know when the computer is running again and the next step will be to uninstall, reboot, then reinstall Chrome.

Computer has rebooted. I have to reinstall Team Viewer. New password ***** *****

Ok, connecting now...

computer is rebooted. Team Viewer is reinstalled. my password ***** ***** Now you know the issues I’ve been facing when I go to the apple logo to shut down or restart.
computer rebooted showing the same sequence as the previous reboot. New password ***** *****

So same issues on reboot?

same issues
David, after we signed off from Team Viewer yesterday, I tried to download an app from the net. It is called Trader Work Station, the trading platform for Interactive Brokers. I use this app to buy and sell stocks. I removed this app from the computer when my computer problems started several days ago. When I tried to go into the app yesterday, the computer
shut down and restarted, with the first visible page telling me the computer was shut down because of a problem. That was the page in six different languages. I thought after the problems you corrected on my computer yesterday, I would be able to download the app. So, it appears we have a ways to go before we see normal operation from my computer. I contact you at 2:00PM today as previously agreed. Jerry
There is a Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.3 supplemental update in the App Store that I cannot upload because it shuts down and restarts the computer like other apps.

Hello Jerry - I was just notified of your message - are you available now?

Team Viewer is set up. My password ***** *****
Team Viewer is set up. My password ***** ***** Are you there?
Team Viewer is set up. My password ***** ***** Are you there?David: I am discontinuing the dialog. I am spending too much time in front of my computer waiting for you to come around.
Goodbye and Good Luck.

Jerry - my apologies - I did not see your reply - I understand your frustration.

If you decide to continue I am available. If not, rather than the troubleshooting I had planned on performing, which involves several command line operations, I recommend the OSX reinstall procedure I mentioned above - you would have to backup and then reinstall programs however it would ensure that all the problems have been addressed.

This is my last message to you. If doing the OSX reinstall is the panacea, why did you not do this procedure first thing when you got on my computer yesterday?????

For more than one reason. First, I would not be able to complete the procedure without being physically at the computer.

Second, it is not a perfect solution but rather a last resort due to the fact that you will need to spend time backing up your files and configurations, then restoring them after OSX has been reinstalled, which usually involves licensing and other issues that require troubleshooting (such as importing previous configurations) depending upon the nature of the program you need to reinstall.

So although troubleshooting takes time, you are more like to take less time and end up with a computer that has your files and configurations as you originally intended.