Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

On my mac book pro I have recently encountered a problem…

Customer Question
On my mac book...

On my mac book pro I have recently encountered a problem with gmail. I open a pdf that is an attachment to gmail. It will not print. It will not close. I must then reboot macbook in order to open gmail again to view other emails.

Technician's Assistant: How are you connecting to your printer: wirelessly or by USB?

Wireless

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the printer driver software?

I don't remember when the printer driver software was last updated. But, the problem seems to be either with gmail or the pdf itself. Even if I do not try to print, the pdf will not close. Nor can I open any other email on gmail.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of now.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mac
3/13/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Kamil Anwar, Mac Support Specialist replied 4 months ago
Kamil Anwar, Mac Support Specialist

Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer.

My name is ***** ***** i will be the one to assist you. Sorry to hear that you are having this trouble.

Can we do a remote session so i can fix this for you?

I would prefer to be guided.

Are you using Mac mail app?

No. Gmail.

What error are you getting trying to print?

No error message that I recall.
The primary issue is not being able to return to gmail to open other emails. Secondary issue is that the pdf will not close. I must then reboot computer to be able to open email. If I open another pdf from gmail, the same issue repeats.
I have not been able to print any pdf.

Have you tried force quit the pdf file?

How do I force quit a pdf?
  1. Click Apple icon on top left
  2. Click Force quit
  3. A window will open
  4. Select the app you want to force quit
I tried the force quit
There was no pdf listed, so I tried firefox.

Did it solve the issue?

Then I lost you.

May i connect with you remotely to troubleshoot the issue directly?

How do I force quit a pdf?I prefer to work through this issue.
  1. Click Apple icon on top left
  2. Click Force quit
  3. A window will open
That does not work

Then problem is different, please explain where have you opened your email, when you open pdf file is it opening in Firefox or app?

The email is open in gmail. The pdf is just an attachment.

Where is gmail open? In firefox or safari?

How do I tell where gmail is open?It is on the top bar. Both Chrome and Firefox are open as well.
I am using the app: Go for Gmail.

What error are you getting trying to close the pdf after you open it from gmail?

There is no error displayed.
The pdf simply will not close.

Did you try to close it? how have you tried to close it?

In order to close the pdf, I must reboot the macbook pro (2011).

Do you see red dot on top left of the pdf file?

I have tried to close the pdf many, many times.
I have rebooted so that the pdf does not take over the computer screen.Should I reopen the pdf once again?

I can do remote assistance for $20 and fix the issue, let me know if you want to connect remotely.

As I said, I prefer to be guided.

You are unable to explain the issue correctly, i need to connect remotely to troubleshoot the issue and fix it.

Apparently you are unable to understand the issue.
My issue is explained above. If you need further information, please let me know.
Mac Support Specialist: Shefin, Mac Support Specialist replied 4 months ago
Shefin, Mac Support Specialist

Hello!

Thank you for your question. I am Shefin and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

Are you able to open other PDF files and close it? Not from the email.

Do you have Adobe Reader installed?

How do you open the PDF file? using Adobe reader?

Thank you.

I am able to open other pdf files and close them.
I believe I have Adobe Reader installed. I will try to locate it.

Are you sure that the attachment opens with Adobe reader?

Thank you.

No, I am not sure. I believe that I had downloaded Adobe reader some time ago. How would I locate it on the mac?
I do not see it in Finder.

If you have installed it, it will be on your Applications folder.

When you open other PDF files, does it open with Adobe Reader?

Thank you.

I found Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.

First, check when you open other PDF files, does it open with Adobe Reader?

Then, check when you open the email attachment, does it uses Adobe reader to open the attachment.

Thank you.

How do I tell if it is opening with Adobe Reader?
I looked at a pdf. There is nothing which indicates how it is opening.
It says preview in the top left corner.

If the Adobe reader is not working, it might be opening with the browser itself, like Safari.

If it opens with Adobe Reader, on the top of the window, you will see the name of the pdf file with extension as Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.

Thank you.

No. It does not have an extension as Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.
Safari is no open. Firefox is open.
Should I reinstall Adobe Acrobat Reader DC?

I would suggest you uninstall Adobe Acrobat completely and reinstall it in order to get the issue resolved.

1. Drag and drop the Acrobat application to Trash.

2. Quit Safari/Firefox

3. From the OS X Finder, hit Command+Shift+G to bring up the Go To Folder window, and enter the following path exactly:

/Library/Internet Plug-ins/

4. Locate the file(s) named “AdobePDFViewer.plugin” and “AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin” – some versions will only have one of these files visible.

5. Delete* those two AdobePDFViewer files from the Internet Plug-ins folder

6. Relaunch Safari/Firefox for changes to take effect, confirm the change has taken place by loading a PDF into Safari/Firefox app.

Then, download and install Acrobat reader (Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (Continuous Track) update - All languages) from the link below. If it asks for any password, enter your Apple/Admin password.

https://supportdownloads.adobe.com/product.jsp?product=10&platform=macintosh

If the issue persists, or you have any questions, please be back and let me know.

If you appreciate my service, please rate it EXCELLENT by clicking the EXCELLENT (5 Stars) and Submit.

Thank you!

Are you able to reinstall Adobe reader?

Are you able to open the attachments without any issues?

Thank you.