Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I’m wanting to change my own identity on Hangouts without…

Customer Question
I’m wanting to change...

I’m wanting to change my own identity on Hangouts without losing anything else on Google, especially my calendar.

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your computer? And the Operating System (OS)?

Mac. OS 10, latest version

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Mac? What have you tried so far?

iPhone X, iOS latest upgrade

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I just want to change my account on Hangouts

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Mac
3/13/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Isaac Franklin, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 1 month ago
Isaac Franklin
Isaac Franklin, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to JustAnswer. I'll be the one to assist you with your question regarding your name change without loss of information. I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question."

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do I add a new account to Hangouts. It keeps saying account already exists when I hit add new acvount
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You guys keep asking for more money I already agreed to $31

There are a few ways to do this. When you make a change it goes across your Google account.

Edit your name

To change the name that's displayed on your Google Account:

1. Go to My Account. You might need to sign in.
  2. In the "Personal info & privacy" section, select Your personal info.
  3. Select Name Edit .
  4. Follow the instructions.

If you created your account more than 2 weeks ago, you can change your name up to 3 times in 90 days.

If you created your account less than 2 weeks ago, you can change your name more often.

I will leave a couple of articles for your changes to review as well.

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/27442?p=profile_access&visit_id=0-636565541968970747-3233572311&rd=1

https://webapps.stackexchange.com/questions/87351/change-personal-display-name-in-hangouts

This is to add a new account to hangouts:

Setting Up Multiple Google Hangouts Accounts with Chrome

Open a new Chrome window.

1. Sign into Chrome with one of your accounts and install the Hangouts Extension:
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/google-hangouts/nckgahadagoaajjgafhacjanaoiihapd?hl=en-US
  2. Open a new Chrome window and click on the button with your name up in the top right corner of Chrome and select Switch Person.
  3. Then click Add Person and sign into your other account.
  4. Install the Hangouts Chrome Extension again in the new window under your second Google account.

https://www.soliantconsulting.com/blog/manage-multiple-google-hangouts-accounts

If you are seeing connect/remote, it is automated. Please ignore. We are on written if you prefer.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. Reply with any and all errors or concerns referring to your technical issue.

Thank you,

~Franklin

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m using Safari. What is that procedure? Wouldn’t it just be easier to install another copy of the Hangouts app?
You will only have one hang out per email unless you attach multiple accounts.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What happens to the rest of my Google apps if I delete hangouts
It's only a part of Google. That app will be deleted. Not your account. You won't delete the app. You will add to it. You can toggle between multiple accounts on it.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok then can I delete the existing Hangouts app and download a new copy without losing Google Calendar?
But they are two separate apps/parts of your Google accounts.
You can add links to your calendar from Hangouts.
But I advise you use multiple accounts before deleting anything to see what your preference is.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What do you mean by preference?

If you want to make sure you do not lose anything, use this so you know you wont lose anything either way. You can use multiple logins on one hangout or you can delete as you prefer and export/import.

You can also export those calendars too to make sure you dont lose anything with this document:

https://support.google.com/calendar/answer/37111?hl=en

Then use this one to import the calendar just to be safe.

https://support.google.com/calendar/answer/37118

Thank you,

~Franklin

Please update so i can close this issue out or continue your troubleshooting.

Thank you,

~Franklin

Isaac Franklin
Isaac Franklin