Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

MacBook crashed while trying to download High Sierra OS.

Customer Question
MacBook crashed while trying...

Technician's Assistant: What apps were you running right before your MacBook crashed?

Turbo Tax. But all apps were closed for the download.

Technician's Assistant: How much storage do you have left on your Mac? (For Mac OS 10.70 and later, you can check storage through the Apple Menu -> About This Mac -> Storage. For earlier versions, you can do this through Finder.)

I can’t tell. When I click the Apple icon my options are restart or shutdown

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I no longer have my Finder.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mac
3/12/2018
Mac Support Specialist: TD White, Mac Enthusiast replied 4 months ago
TD White
TD White, Mac Enthusiast
Hello, Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I’m a Mac Specialist and IT Tutor of over 15 years. I will be more than happy to assist you with your support request.My apologies for the difficulty you are experiencing with this issue.Here a few recommendations I would like to try, in order to help you reach an effective solution to this issue you are experiencing with your MacBook Pro.• First, make sure your MacBook Pro is completely turned off
• Now the next few steps are going to require a little “finger flexibility” in order to work to get your MacBook Pro back to its normal functions:
• You are going to turn your MacBook Pro back on, BUT, when you do, and once you hear either your MacBook Pro start up or hear the standard Apple start up chime,
• Press and hold these 4 keys on your keyboard down at the same time and hold:
- Apple Command Key (left of space bar)
- Option Key
-R Key
-P Key• Hold all 4 keys down until you hear your MacBook Pro reboot again and either chimes or you hear the sound of the MacBook Pro starting back up again.• Once you do hear or see your MacBook Pro starting up a second time, release all 4 keys and observe your notebook and see if it starts up as normal- like it did before it crashed.This process is known as an PRAM/NVRAM Reset.If you are unable to hear a second chime or see your MacBook Pro reboot up a second time, then shut it down and repeat this process just once more.Here is the link from Apple just in case you need additional reference on how to perform this commonly used troubleshooting step for when Macs fail to work or respond properly:
“How to reset NVRAM on your Mac”Link: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063So please give this process a try and let me know if this helps.Otherwise, I will continue assisting you until we can resolve this question for you.Thanks, ***** ***** your update-TD
We tried twice. The computer goes to the login screen. I enter the password ***** get a page of jibberish. I get the chimes and it goes back to the login screen.
Thanks for the update-This means we need to get your to Mac OS Utilities to run Disk Utility.Here is the link from Apple, to direct you to run First Aid through Disk Utility after you boot to OS Recovery-Link: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314Once you have performed this action, restart your Mac and try logging back in to your desktop.Keep me posted and let’s hope this is the fix you need- I will be standing by once again!-TD