Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Screen stays black even after doing PRAM and other tests.

Hi, Screen stays black...

Hi, Screen stays black even after doing PRAM and other tests. Seems like it fried something inside and I cannot get anything even though the Mac does switch on and off with the button on the back - screen still stays black!

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried a PRAM reset on your Mac (rebooting and holding down Command, Option, P, and R)? Or rebooting in Recovery Mode (holding down Command and R)?

Yes many times, but nothing

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

If it is fried how do I remove the hard drive to save it?

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I have . Thanksno other information to send other than what you already have - Please proceed
Can I log out of this page because it seems that I am not getting an answer about the technician taking remote control of my Mac or responding to my question at this time. Please advise as this is my other laptop I am using while the iMac is not working and I need to carry on with other work I am doing on this laptop...? Thanks
3/12/2018
Richard, Apple Software Engineer

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Can you tell me please what other tests you did already on this?

Please let me know

Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Hi Richard, I did PRAM many times very carefully as suggested and also the SMC reset but all to no avail. Perhaps you can securely connect with a blank screen but I sure can't... Thanks for coming back to me.

Ok, not with a black screen I cannot yet, but disconnect the power cable then hold the power button for 60 seconds then release.

Then connect the power cable, power it on and tell me how it then functions please

Pulled out the plug , pressed the power button but it does not come on again

Shine a flashlight at the screen at a 45 degree angle.

Do you faintly see the screen?

OK it is on again, did what you said about flash light but still no screen

Thanks

It is the internal display adapter that has faulted, this now confirms it

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the Mac to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Thank you

I took it to Apple but they said they do not work on "Vintage" iMac dektops!

Ok, you would need then to replace it sorry unless you can find a motherboard for it on ebay

Okay Richards, Thanks anyhow for trying. Have a nice day. Robin