Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Got an error message called the phone number on screen.

Got an error message...

Got an error message called the phone number on screen. Think I got scammed. Unfortunately he asked for serial number of iPad and I gave it to him. How dangerous is this

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your iPad?

It’s ipad Pro 12 so whatever system on it. Got it in past 2 months

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your iPad? What have you tried so far?

It just happened about 20 min ago. Was trying to pull up a website on safari and error code came up with call(###) ###-####for Apple help. So called. In course of talking with guy he asked for my iPad serial number then tried to get me to pay with amazon gift card. Then knew I’d been scammed

3/9/2018
Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson, Mac Genius

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your question about message. I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

What message was it?

If you would like remote support please select the Secure Remote Assistance option. If you do not want remote support please ignore the prompt.

Don’t remember the code, and cannot pull it back up. He had me put ipad in airlplane mode, shut iPad down then turn back on
Are you still there

Yes. What is the message on the screen?

The guy I spoke with had me turn off my iPad so no longer have error code just the phone number screen said to call for Apple support(###) ###-####

Do this for me: Please dial ‭(866)(###) ###-#### and select option 1. Let them know a former Mac Genius sent you. When finished messages me back, ok?

Ok I understand now, so I’m good. Thanks

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you!

Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson, Mac Genius