Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Tried to install MacOS on my MacBook Air and got an error…

Customer Question
Tried to install MacOS...

Tried to install MacOS on my MacBook Air and got an error message that it could not be installed on the computer. Tried quitting installer but am unable to restart computer without getting the same error. What should I do

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your MacBook Air?

Cannot tell but I assume linx

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your MacBook Air? What have you tried so far?

Since yesterday when the computer was trying to update to MacOS. Followed instructions to shutdown the installer and also ran disk utility (no errors) and restart

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

That is my only problem that I know of

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Mac
You can also call me at(###) ###-####
3/9/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Justin Johnson, Mac Genius replied 3 months ago
Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson, Mac Genius

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer.com! I am Justin. I am sorry for the length of time you have been waiting. With that in mind are you still in need of assistance?

I am still waiting for guidance. You can call me at(###) ###-####

What is the error message?

MacOS could not be installed on your computer. The path /system/packages/OSInstall.mpkg appears to be missing or damaged. Quit the installer to restart your computer and try again.

Do you have another mac?

I have an IPad and a much older MacBook as well.

Are you trying to do an erase and install?

I was asked if I had wanted to update the operating system and I said yes. I would gladly erase the update if I could. I am able to quit the installer but when I restart the computer it returns to the installer program and repeats the error messages.
Any hope?

Restart the computer and hold the option key and tell me what happens.

Shows macOS installer Macintosh HD images and a chose network option
Currently the arrow points at the MacOS installer
Should I switch arrow to the Macintosh HD image instead?

Switch to Macintosh HD.