Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Just got a new Mac and coild not remember password to get in…

Just got a new...

Just got a new Mac and coild not remember password ***** get in this morning

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?

Is the Apple ID the ID I use for all of my devices?

Technician's Assistant: Did you try resetting through Apple's online account reset tool?

No how?

3/9/2018
Richard, Apple Software Engineer

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

You are referring to the password ***** sign into your Mac computer correct?

Please let me know

Thank you

Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Are you on my computer

Thank you

Please note, these instructions are done on a computer

If you are on a windows computer, Click this link

download.teamviewer.com/download/TeamViewerQS.exe

Else for a Mac computer, Click this link

download.teamviewer.com/download/TeamViewerQS.dmg

A program will start downloading to your computer (it does not open a webpage, but the file will start downloading to your computer).

Run the program and it shows you and ID and Password.

Give me the ID and Password ***** please so I can connect

Do not close the program but leave it open else I will not be able to connect

Thank you

I have 2 laptops one at work and at home how do I know which one you are on

Choose one and do the instructions I gave you, on it

But I can’t sign on
I Am on my phone now
I can’t do anything on my machine - it’s the initial sign on

ok, you will have to reset the password

To do this

Power off the Mac

Right after you hear the chime, press and hold the Command and the R keys for a few seconds, then release. Soon, you'll see the Apple logo and spinning gear (or progress bar).

This will force the Mac to boot into OS X on the Recovery Partition that was created when you installed

When booting is complete, you'll see a window of "OS X Utilities." You won't do anything there. Instead, you'll go to the Menu bar at the top and select Utilities > Terminal.

In the terminal window type the following and hit Return.

resetpassword

A new window will open, like this:

http://www.macobserver.com/imgs/tmo_articles/20140617resetpassword1a.jpg

Click on the the main volume, then select the desired user account name in the popup. Then enter the new password (twice). A password ***** is optional. Click "Save."

Go back to the Apple Menu at the top. Select OS X Utilities > Quit OS X Utilities. That will prompt you to restart the Mac.

When the Mac restarts normally, you'll be able to log in to the administrator account with the new password ***** defined above. From there you can manage the rest of of the users if necessary with System Preferences > Users & Groups.

Let me know the results please

Ok looks like I am in! Thank you!

You are welcome!