Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

When I power on my mac book pro, all I get is a blank screen…

Customer Question
When I power on...

When I power on my mac book pro, all I get is a blank screen with a flashing grey folder that has a question mark in it. What does this mean and how can I fix it? I have already tried turning it off and back on but that hasn't changed anything.

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried a PRAM reset on your MacBook Pro (rebooting and holding down Command, Option, P, and R)? Or rebooting in Recovery Mode (holding down Command and R)?

PRAM reset didn't work, however I am getting somewhere with the reboot in recovery mode. I have a spinning globe with a bar half way done loading.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

Nothing I can think of. Thank you for the help.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Richard, Apple Software Engineer replied 4 months ago
Richard, Apple Software Engineer

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Shut down your Mac.
Find Command (⌘), Option, P, and R on your keyboard.
Turn on your Mac.
Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.
Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.
Release the keys.

Tell me if it then starts please