Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have iOS 9.3 and it says it is up to date even though I…

Customer Question
I have iOS 9.3...

I have iOS 9.3 and it says it is up to date even though I know there is a 10. Funny things are happening when I try to run programs/apps that used to run fine. And it does auto reboots at random times on its own.

Technician's Assistant: What kind of Apple device do you have? What version of iOS are you running?

IPad 9.3

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your iPad? What have you tried so far?

Since Christmas maybe? Not really sure. Checked for updates says is up dated. Don't know what else to do.

Technician's Assistant: The Mac Technician will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Mac
3/8/2018
Mac Support Specialist: syseng, Systems Engineer replied 1 month ago
syseng
syseng, Systems Engineer

My name is David.

Turn off your iPad and plug your iPad into your computer.
Start iTunes.
Press and hold down the On/Off button on the top of the iPad for 3 seconds.
Press and hold down the Home button (on the front of your iPad) while still holding down the On/Off button.
Keep holding both buttons down for 10 seconds. (If the Apple logo appears, the buttons have been held down too long and will need to start the procedure again.)
Let go of the On/Off Button but keep holding the Home button for about 5 seconds. (If the "Plug into iTunes" screen appears, then the button has been held down too long and will need to start the procedure again.)
If the screen stays black, then the iPad has entered DFU mode.
iTunes should display an alert stating that it has detected the iPad and will allow it to be restored.
Follow the prompts to complete the restore process with a restore that is before the issue started.

Once completed try updating again and it should update.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If I restore what will I loose?

It will roll back your iPad to the settings, programs and files on the iPad when the backup was saved.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How often does it back up?

By default, it backs up every time you plug the iPad into the computer that has iTunes configured/associated to that iPad (unless the backup/synchronization settings have been changed).

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can not remember the last time my iPad was plugged into my computer. So how can I not loose all my information and apps? I did not realize I had to back it up I thought it was backed up in the cloud somewhere. It is not having trouble updating. It thinks it is updated.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The last couple of updates I had to clear off some of my stuff to make room for updating when it checked for updates. It does not seem to have thought it needs updating for quite some time.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My password ***** for example is my bible for all my devices. I would be lost if it disappeared. There are a lot of things I would not want to do without. I was not aware that it was not backing itself up, I was assuming iCloud had me covered.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
David are you still helping me?

Hello - yes I am still here - just a moment...

Yes, it may be configured to backup to iCloud if it is setup that way. Do the following to view your iPad iCloud backup settings:

Go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud.

Tap Manage Storage > Backup

Tap the name of the iPad

Under Choose Data to Back Up you will see what is configured to backup.

Backups can occur whenever the iPad is connected to WiFi.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It shows latest backup was at 1:32 PM BACKUP size was 0 bytes. What to backup everything is chosen (green slide) next back up size says 39.5 MB. Bottom says photos will be backed up separately in icloud. I don't see the password ***** anywhere those are very important to me. I don't know where this all goes or why the one from 1:32 PM would be 0
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am mountain time zone. Are you available again tommorow to help me fix this?

Yes, I will be available tomorrow as well. I am in the PDT time zone.

That is good because backups are happening to the cloud. The backup may be 0 because either there is no more room in iCloud storage or there was nothing different to backup since the backup before that one.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you What are your work hours for tommorow? Do you do phone support?

I am in the PDT time zone. I will be available tomorrow morning and later tomorrow afternoon and early evening.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can you somehow give me assurance of me not loosing my password ***** data. As I said it is my reference point for all my devices. I have many memberships and subscriptions and I look up my information there. I would like to know if it is backed up and where, before doing any restores. I am sure there are other things I can not afford to loose in the process but that one is major. And vital to my sanity.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Plus I am not sure why my iPad thinks it is up to date at 9.3 It does not even think it needs to search for updates.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also I don't believe you answered when I asked about telephone support.

Yes, I will do phone support.

Another way to update is to plug the iPad into your computer and let iTunes detect that it is out of date.

If you have not tried this yet, I recommend it as it may avoid you having to perform a restore to fix the problems. Make sure that iTunes is up to date first before connecting the iPad to the computer running iTunes. To check for iTunes updates open iTunes then click Help then Check for Updates.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My iTunes is up to date. I did that this morning

Ok, great. Then next plug the iPad into the computer and iTunes should automatically recognize the iPad and determine that it is out of date. If it does, iTunes will ask you if you want to update the iPad - answer yes and let it backup the iPad, then update and then power down and power up the iPad and test to see if the issues are resolved.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Don't go away I am doing that. I really would rather have you on the phone.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
not this late at night. Can not think clearly.

Ok, no worries. Then just let me know if iTunes finds the iPad to be out of date and prompts to update. If you want to do that tomorrow that is okay too.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Keychain keychain keychain...passwords can not get erased!!!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Tommorow would be great in the afternoon and on the phone.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Copies diagnostic info...says updating. IPad now says checking for update. Checking and checking and checking. Your software is up to date. ios9.3.5

I understand your concerns about the keychain, which is why I am recommending trying to update through iTunes first because it should resolve the issues without making changes to any of your files.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It still seems to think it is up to date at 9.3.5 now I am off on my desktop listening to tunes but not fixing my iPad ��
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have left my IPad plugged in and it keeps checking for updates but ends up sticking at it is updated in the end. Then triea again a few minutes later. Then it got stuck on checking for an update.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok so this is why I need the phone support. We are going to be working on three days tommorow and I am still not fixed up. If we were on the phone I would have been done yesterday. Paid support but all kinds if wait and not close to finished. Not your fault. You have been kind and great to work with but I paid an the efficiency is all over the board.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My iPad still has the major hiccups and thinks it has no updates to do. And I paid for support. Same as two says ago.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Again... for the second night it is getting too late my time to work this out. Thank you David but I can not work on this this late at night.

My apologies for the delay - I misunderstood. I thought that you were done working on it for the evening and wanted to resume tomorrow. Please let me know what time works best for you tomorrow.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can not work on it until this afternoon.

Okay - I will be available again later this evening.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Why do you suppose it thinks 9.3 is up to date?

It occurred to me that your iPad hardware may be older. Please click the link below and let me know which version of iPad hardware matches yours:

click here

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
A1416 3rd Gen
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Have you got anymore ideas?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi David, I answered you last night and then waited till supper time tonight and checked in again. I see it shows you are online but you have not gotten back to me. Does that mean you have no answers?

My apologies for the delay - since your iPad is 3rd generation, it will not support IOS versions after 9.3.5, which is why it keeps telling you it is up to date.

So at this point a restore is your best option although eventually you will need to move to newer hardware because your current iPad will not be receiving security updates either.

Would you still like to work on moving forward with the restore option?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What will restore do for me?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Does newer hardware mean I need to get a new iPad?

Restore may resolve the strange behavior you have described that is occurring with your iPad by rolling back the configuration to when it was working.

Yes, since Apple has discontinued support of the 3rd generation iPad hardware and there are no updates available, eventually apps will become out of date and not work correctly, and security updates would also not be available with the older hardware.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Restore is risky to me loosing my keychain passwords and other files though right?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It works good but I think it struggles with not having enough spare room because all the program updates and iOS updates have grown. If I free up my space some and make room do you think that will help. Also how long will it be before the security updates stop? How long do I have to save up for a new one do you think? If I get a new one can all my stuff just transfer and I can carry on including my keychain file. I honestly live on this thing and can not imagine losing all the data or information type files.

The last of the security updates have already been released for 9.3.5.

Yes, if you free up some space that will help with performance, and turning off background app refresh will help as well - here is the procedure:

Start the Settings app from your Home screen.

Select General.

Select Background App Refresh.

Toggle Background App Refresh switch to the right of each app in which you want to disable or don't need background refresh. The switch will become grayed-out when toggled off.

Also, it is pretty straightforward to restore the information on an older iPad to a newer one. Click the link below to see how you can transfer everything from your current iPad to a new one:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201269

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you have an iPad? Which one to you have? And why?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How many GBs does a person need to not grow out of space too soon with all the new technology upgrades?

My apologies for the delay.

The amount of space you need depends upon many factors such as the space required by the apps installed and files stored, such as photos and videos.

That said, it depends upon the requirements of the update, which usually require between 2 and 5 GB available.

However, keep in mind that Apple is not offering an update for your iPad hardware.

Just checking in to find out if you have further questions or need additional assistance.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well I am looking at getting a new IPad now. I am worried about losing things because my iPad will not back itself up.

Check your iCloud storage space - if you do not have enough space then that could be the reason why it does not backup. Also check iTunes - since iTunes can communicate with your iPad when connected it should also backup to iTunes when enabled.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have 45.5 GB available in icloud storage. And when it was plugged into my computer on iTunes the other night it attempted to do an update but I did not see that it tried to do a backup at all so my setting must not be correct then???

Yes, correct so first check that iCloud Backup is turned on in Settings > [Your account name] > iCloud > iCloud Backup on your iPad. If turned off, then turn it on, connect it to WiFi and it should then backup to iCloud.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok so I did that and my number stayed at 45.5 GB no change there. Under storage it shows last backup at 2:33 PM but backup size is still 0 bytes
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It says next backup will be 31.9 MB that is what it said before too. I have used several of the apps so there definately should be some changes. It can not possibly be 0

Ok then next do the following:

First go to Settings --> iCloud --> Logout on your iPad.

It will ask you to confirm whether or not you wish to keep or delete items such as notes, contact and messages.

Reboot the iPad.

After the iPad powers up, login to iCloud and start backup and it should run.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It got stuck. It is taking awhile to set back up. Working on it. I have an appointment in about 10 minutes so I may have to get back to you in a bit.

Ok, then just get back to me when you can and let me know if it starts and completes backup.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Backing up ... again... will leave it doing that.

Ok, sounds good.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok so I came back and it says backup complete at 3:18. It still shows the last back up as 0 bytes though.

Ok, then since that appears to be an iCloud issue, next connect the iPad to your computer and open iTunes then do the following:

Click on the Device icon next to the category dropdown menu on the left side of the iTunes window.

Select Summary in the sidebar.

Select Back Up Now under Manually Back Up and Restore.

Please let me know the result.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There is no device icon on the left of my screen. Only music library
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
K somehow I got my iPad in the list on the left and I right clicked and chose back up. It says it is backing up accross the top so waiting.

Ok, very good.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It seems to have finished. How do I check? To make sure it reallt is backed up with ALL the MB or GB totally.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I now see summary on the left. On the right I see the latest backups from 3:18 to icloud and this one at 8:07 to this computer. Niether shows how much was backed up. Also automatically is tagged on the left. No tag in the encrypted box for passwords, health and home kit data. Sync with this iPad over Wi-Fi is not checked in options.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry automatically is tagged to icloud on the left. Only most important data on your iPad to icloud. I want to be sure everything that can possibly be back up IS backed up I don't care where as long as I can see it. My iPad contains about 12 GB of stuff. None of which I want to loose track of.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It looks like my icloud storage is still 45.5 GB. Where can I go to see my 12+GB of backup???

The iCloud backup only happens when connected to WiFi and enabled. Enable the Sync with this IPad over WiFi option you mentioned earlier.

To view details on the backups there are a couple of programs that can do this for you. First is Dr. Fone - the free download should display the details you need:

click here

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Checked the sync box. If it backed up to my computer why can I not jyst go see the file and how big it is. I really do not want to download a free program that I will never use again from a place that I don't know that does a bunch of other stuff. If it backed up on my computer where is it? And what is the size of the file that is all I need to see.

If all you need is to see the file size, the backups are located in the following directory path:

\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\

or

~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well now my windows 10 has decided to do a big update and has closed everything and is running that. I guess this is going to wait til tommorow. I will try and find my back up and I will be in touch tommorow. Getting late here again.

Ok, then I will check back tomorrow after you have had time to check the backup file.

Also, leave the iPad running and it should backup to iCloud as well now.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Nothing on my computer in the roaming directory since 2015

Make sure you check under each user account in case iTunes is storing backups under a different user profile.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am the only user
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have done a search of "this PC"
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I searched for "Apple computer" nothing since 2015 in any directory
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Now searching for "mobileSync"
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Again ... Nothing on this computer since 2015

Was the iCloud backup successful?

When you follow the instructions above does it show that there are backups available?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
as I said it backed up on iCloud at 3:18 yesterday afternoon but shows 0 bytes it backed up on iTunes last night at 8:07 but I don't see any backup I don't see it I want to know that I have 12 GB of back up somewhere so now I've looked in these files you told me to look into see the backup and I can't see it so yes it said it did it I can't see it
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Nothing on my PC since 2015

Ok then just to confirm the steps, please click the following link and review the steps to confirm the procedure you used to start backup yesterday is the same as the procedure on the web page for both iTunes and iCloud:

click here

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
David you want me there before and I followed all the instructions. It doesn't matter ... this is not getting me any closer and day after day all day I am just going around in circles. I appreciate your efforts but the answers just do not seem to be there and tjis messaging system just does not work for me. I have a new IPad on order...so hopefully when it gets here APPLE can sort things out.

Ok, I understand. If it does not work out and you need further assistance I will be here.

Best regards,

David.

syseng
syseng
syseng, Systems Engineer