Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

MacBook Air out of storage space. Optimized but shows 176GB…

Customer Question
MacBook Air out of...

MacBook Air out of storage space. Optimized but shows 176GB used by system of 256GB available

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your MacBook Air?

High Sierra 10.13.2

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your MacBook Air? What have you tried so far?

About two months but got really bad this week. Have deleted all large files. Reduced mail. Have all in cloud. Deleted unused apps. Emptied trash. Looked at cache and iTunes as well to make sure no large backup files

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

Mo No

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Mac
Anyone there??
3/8/2018
Mac Support Specialist: syseng, Systems Engineer replied 5 months ago
syseng
syseng, Systems Engineer

It sounds like there may be file system corruption. So next

Press Command+Space to open Spotlight search and type “Disk Utility” and press Enter.

In the Disk Utility application, select the disk or partition to check — which in this case is the system partition is named “Macintosh HD” by default — and then click the “First Aid” button.

Note that the First Aid function can run on an entire disk, or an individual partition depending on what you select.

Click “Run” and the Mac will check the disk selected for errors automatically fix any errors it finds.

After running the utility, restart the computer and test to see if the issue is resolved.

Issue was not resolved by this fix. Ended up by backing up important files, reformatting/erasing drive and reinstalling operating system.

Ok, and thanks for letting me know.

Best regards,

David.